Broken Subwoofer Help

lliamiskool

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi all. About a year ago I installed a boss headunit and a sound ordanence T B-8ptd and everything was great. 2 weeks ago sound stopped coming out of my subwoofer. I checked the in line fuse near the battery, the fuse on the subwoofer, and all connections. The subwoofer had power but no sound. I called crutchfield and they were going to send out a new sub. In the meantime, I figured I might as well upgrade. I bought an MTX 12" sub from 1999 and a urban UX-2075 amp for $30. I wired the amp bridged and connected it to the sub and nothing would work. So, I called crutchfield again and they said it was the radio. So they sent me a new radio, I installed it, and still no noise from the sub. Any ideas? This is the only car audio I've ever worked on so I might be missing something simple. Thanks!

You need to start isolating where the problem is.
Do this and check your AC voltage at the amp terminals. This will tell you if you are getting a powered signal going to the sub after the amp. Do the math, and make sure your gain is set where you want it, but that you're getting the power you think you are.

& check the resistance of your sub's coils.

Last edited:
I’m using RCA cables from the radio to amp and speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Which terminals should I check AC voltage for? Tomorrow I’m going to fix the ground connection to the car, because it’s stripped and slightly loose. I am also thinking about opening the replacement sub crutchfield sent me to see if that works, I was trying to avoid that so I could resell it as unopened

Ok I’ll definitely try that. My car broke down today and it’s at the shop now so there will be a delay unfortunately
Hopefully it isnt anything major man. Auto repair shops can be expensive. I try to do as much on my own as possible or that I can to save the coin there. Im far from the Shade tree mechanic as my head is still baking in the sun,and a little bright on the eyes.. but I get by most of the time. Best luck on something simple and easy on the pocket book man!

Been there done that with wanting to upgrades and getting hit with a repair.

Perfect example is went on vacation 10 miles from my 2nd destination at my friends house in my hometown and blew apart the frt rt side wheel hub assembly. Lost 2 days of vacation to that mess. Then come home and find that while I was gone half the ceramic tile separated from the wall of the bathtub that combined with finding out 2 tiles on the floor rotted out as well which means a full bathroom remodel. Then 12 or 13 days ago look up in the living room and see water damage. Chimney is leaking at the front of it into the living room. When Newcap did all their sealing and upgrades they didn't use the right stuff.

Right now everything for upgrades is on hold as I am looking at a 3-4k probably in materials for the bathroom and the roof cost me 300 bucks in materials. Thankfully friends are helping with both over the next few months with the roof being fixed this week or next.

Interesting update: my car broke down because of my radio. My mechanic isn’t sure why, but when he removed the radio, it ran and drove fine. I’m going to drive it without the radio for the rest of the week and look into an audio shop this weekend. This is above my pay grade

Interesting update: my car broke down because of my radio. My mechanic isn’t sure why, but when he removed the radio, it ran and drove fine. I’m going to drive it without the radio for the rest of the week and look into an audio shop this weekend. This is above my pay grade
What????????LOL.WTF??? Did the mechanic explain Why the radio was causing the issue?????? id have to do a vid on that explanation.

Well .. Id deff like to know how it was connected/wired up. did you use a wiring harness or do some splicing? Where did you connect wire to from the HU to the supply for the HU if you spliced?

I will update you guys once I figure it out. I’ve had it wired this way for over a year so I’m not sure. It drove fine for 30 min then clunked out when I tried to take off at an intersection. Pretty crazy

So the car audio shop I took it to just claimed "bad wiring" and now it all works. Not really sure what that means but case closed! thanks everyone for your help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...