Bridging 4 channel amp......

mannyahles
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just want to make sure that I am bridging correctly......

I am installing one set of Hertz MLK comps passively. So I will do the following:

Channels 1+ and 2- bridged and 3+ and 4- bridged but how do I hook up channels 1/2 to one passive crossover and channels 3/4 to the other crossover?

The croossovers have a place to plug in for the tweets and mids.....????

as for your passive xover, most that have the bi-amp capabilities has the option to be bi-amped or not.

I'd suggest use that 4 channel and NOT bridge it and bi-amp your comp set.

That'll mean each mid and tweet will have it's own channel of amplification.

Typically, when bridging a 4-channel amp to two 4 Ohm mono outputs the method followed is such:

Positive (+) output from Channel 1 is combined with the Negative (-) output on Channel 2. You're left with a single, more powerful output with positive (+) and negative (-) leads, one of each. Let's further assume for the sake of argument you've connected Channels 1&2 on your amp to the left output(s) from your headunit.

The same procedure is followed using the positive (+) from Channel 3 along with the negative from Channel 4 fed signal from the right output(s) on your HU.

If your amp has a manual switch (some older ones do) for running mono bridged then you'll want to engage that now.

You now have two 4 Ohm outputs, one left and one right.

Attach the left output you made by combining Channels 1&2 to the left crossover inputs.

Do likewise for the right amp output and the right-hand crossover inputs.

Voila! Done!

You now have two 4 Ohm outputs, one left and one right.

Attach the left output you made by combining Channels 1&2 to the left crossover inputs.

Do likewise for the right amp output and the right-hand crossover inputs.

Voila! Done!

I understand bridging but I will have only 1 set of wires (+/-) going to each crossover. ON the crossover there is a spot for tweeter and midbass so how do I connect them. Or do I plug in where the bi amp is on the crossover?

as for your passive xover, most that have the bi-amp capabilities has the option to be bi-amped or not.
I'd suggest use that 4 channel and NOT bridge it and bi-amp your comp set.

That'll mean each mid and tweet will have it's own channel of amplification.
The Hertz MLK's are power hungry so I have been told to bridge my amp so the comps can get more power....which they love!

My Orion is 100 x 4 or 200 x 2 bridged!

It's good enough...

Where it's says "bi-wiring" instead of "bi" set it to "mono" if you want to bridge your 4 channel.

I'd rather bi-amp, but that's just me.. actually I'd bi-amp AND get another 4 channel and bridge that sucker to your mids.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.