Boston Pro60 Components Crossovers

transamfan
10+ year member

I just got these things in the mail today and had a few questions about the crossovers. Every crossover I have ever used until now has had one input and then two outputs, one to the woofer and one to the tweeter. These are different. They have an in and out on one end and an out on the other end. I am going to be runned two pairs of these components off of a kicker sx700.4 amp. Please tell me if I have the ideal way of hooking these up. Below is a diagram of how I think I should do this for each woofer and tweeter. Also, the amp is rated at 85watts @ 4 ohms. Will the wattage be cut in half once run through the crossovers, or will the crossovers just split the frequency that goes to each speaker and run 85 watts to both the woofer and the tweeter? Thanks,

crossoverdiagram.jpg

lol..did you not look at the enclosed manual? Your diagram looks fine. Your crossover will take the 80 watts from the amp and split the power up. Neither the mid or the tweeter are going to see the a full 85 watts. Also, these speakers love power...85 watts isn't going to be idea but it will work.

btw..they only have separate inputs on the crossover in case you want to bi-amp them. If you had a 4 channel amp or (2) 2 channel amps you could power each part of the crossover separately allowing you to feed the woofers a set amount of power and the tweeter a different amount of power.

The kicker sx amp is really 2 2-channel amps in one. It takes me a while to sit and think about the best way to hook this stuff up. If I have 2 pair of these components to run off of the amp, is there a better way to hook them up than what I have pictured?

There must be a diagram in the manual for how to do this I would assume. The reason for the multiple inputs as stated above is for Biamping which gives you more control over the system, essentially half a step between an active and passive setup since you would be able to level match as well as do time alignment if you have the processing however the crossover points would still be passive.

I would read up in the manual to see if your diagram is how they expect you to power these in a normal application and that you are using a full channel output from the woofer crossover to feed the tweeter crossover and not the output that feeds a processed signal to the woofer.

^^he has the wiring correct for normal operation. What is the model of the amp you are using? And You say you have 2 sets so I'm assuming you have 4 mids, 4 tweets and 4 crossovers?

yeah the wiring is confusing as all hell. In the manual that I have, it has one of the wiring inputs going to the tweeter in one of the x-overs, and the other wiring input goes to the woofer in the other set of x-overs

Don't worry, I'm confused too haha

well you have a 4 channel amp so each channel will be powering a crossover. The specs for that amp is 85 watts x 4 channels @ 4 Ohms or 175 watts x 4 channels @ 2 Ohms which is pretty good because the bostons are 3 ohms so you should get around 125 watts per channel at 3 ohms. I feed mine 170 watts each and they can still take a bit more power.

So if you have a 2 channel amp would you set it up like this?
thats what it looks like

in the manual, there is an option to biamp the components so basically running a wire to the each crossover (4 total.. 2 woofer, 2 tweeter)

Ok, well sounds like I was on the right track. I just wanted to make sure before going ahead and wiring it all up.

One more thing. Those crossovers are pretty big. Don't know that I can put them inside my door panels. Is it ok to wire them a ways from the speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.