break in time for components...

reed dollaz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ocala, FL
ok i got my car hooked up to a charger and have the volume at medium and playing some smooth music (robert miles) for now. then ill move onto some rock and hiphop for different depth. how long should i let them play for break in time? i was thinking maybe 5 hours for the smoother music and 5 hours for the rock/hip hop. or maybe 5 hours total? 2 1/2 hours for each genre? what do you suggest? i also have the IASCA SQ test cd (anyone need it let me know, i got it uploaded on the pc) and im going to use that after the break in.

I think you should just play different kinds of music every time you get in your car for about a 2-3 weeks. That should be enough time to break em nice n good.
my car is un driveable at the moment. and my license is suspended. im repairing my front end. so, no driving. im just going to let it play while my car is in ACC and keep my battery charged

Gotcha, I still wouldn't state the amount of time you would play different kinds of music. Just play music as you feel like it and they'll break in gradually.

Example, my home set up consists of a Scott 340-B Full Tube Receiver, two turntables, and a pair of Polk Monitor 10Bs (they from the mid 70s). But when I started playing rap and bass heavy music through them, they didn't like it and sounded like crap. But now after a month or so, they sound a hell of alot better.

So, just play music like you normally would.

Break-in period is virtually the same as subwoofers. Is their a period of time where the new suspension parts will change their compliance? Yes. Will this be noticeable? Maybe. Will this thread likely boil down to arguments over how much of the 'break in' occurs in the first few seconds of play time? Probably. Is there really anything special you need to do to break your comp set in? No. Will the break in period alter your review of the set? Maybe. Will you want to go back and re-adjust your gains and/or xover settings after the first few weeks? Possibly, keep it in mind.

Any other questions?

Gotcha, I still wouldn't state the amount of time you would play different kinds of music. Just play music as you feel like it and they'll break in gradually.
Example, my home set up consists of a Scott 340-B Full Tube Receiver, two turntables, and a pair of Polk Monitor 10Bs (they from the mid 70s). But when I started playing rap and bass heavy music through them, they didn't like it and sounded like crap. But now after a month or so, they sound a hell of alot better.

So, just play music like you normally would.
So your 30+ year old speakers were not broken in mechnically yet? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Could be that your ears are just used to the sound after 4+ weeks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

So your 30+ year old speakers were not broken in mechnically yet? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Could be that your ears are just used to the sound after 4+ weeks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
not sure about that part. i'm a believer in breaking-in speakers. I'm sure many have installed for friends and hear it the first day it's finished, then hear it again at least a week later and notice a difference.

the moral of this story is: don't trust reviews from ca.com.

Im with mlstrass on this one. A speaker does not move differently to reproduce 'rap' music than it does any other genre. The speaker cycles back and forth the number of times a second corresponding to the frequency of the notes it is playing. That's it. So to suggest your 30 year old speakers still had some break-in to do when you first started playing a new genre of music through them is pretty silly. Clearly there are some psychoacoustics going on.

not sure about that part. i'm a believer in breaking-in speakers. I'm sure many have installed for friends and hear it the first day it's finished, then hear it again at least a week later and notice a difference.
the moral of this story is: don't trust reviews from ca.com.
Crazy talk.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.