Break in period for subs

Wasn't doing it for you man, but you are welcome. This is stupid. If multiple companies that build subwoofers recommend a break in, why in the Alabama cousin-******* ******** would you say it's not a thing.

T/S shift is real, and I'm sure alot of it happens rather quickly, but T/S aren't measured under a large power situation, these are measurements made with very low power driving the speaker. Nobody has done full power testing of T/S specs because it isn't an actual thing...

Matt

100% agree. T/s parameters are taken with so little movement. That's why I say t/s parameters are relative. Also why I say box designing is more of an art form than it is a math. The only solid math is volume displacements. Sound is alive; you should look at sound as a living being, because that's how it acts, sometimes.

Show me one person that can predict every factor in a subwoofer system, I'll wait patiently. I'd love to see the science. You're probably going to need a DOPPLER radar station to actually predict everything.

Yeah I don't believe in the whole break in thing. I install em, I play em. Also I never liked AQ (now SQ) subs. Just don't like them.

I like SQ and AB. For what you get, the prices are great, IMO. I've quite literally had people get mad at me, specifically with AB/SQ HD's or HDC3's (used to be the exact same woofer), and they said I should've made the box less quiet. As a box designer, if your box is so loud that you're mad at me, I'm having a great day, personally. AB/SQ delivers that.

Yeah I don't believe in the whole break in thing. I install em, I play em. Also I never liked SQ (now AQ) subs. Just don't like them.
Not a fan of those woofers either. Quick question, when you install them and play them, what kind of music and at what output level? If you don't play near full volume (or full power if that's your metric) every time you listen to your system then you are actually giving your subs time to become more compliant.

Matt

I like SQ and AB. For what you get, the prices are great, IMO. I've quite literally had people get mad at me, specifically with AB/SQ HD's or HDC3's (used to be the exact same woofer), and they said I should've made the box less quiet. As a box designer, if your box is so loud that you're mad at me, I'm having a great day, personally. AB/SQ delivers that.
Plenty have had success and liked them. Was years ago and I don't know. Just preferred Sundown a lot more. I've been running Sundown since Sundown started.

Not a fan of those woofers either. Quick question, when you install them and play them, what kind of music and at what output level? If you don't play near full volume (or full power if that's your metric) every time you listen to your system then you are actually giving your subs time to become more compliant.

Matt
Like I said I just install them and run them. No matter the system, subs, watts, etc. I listen to all kinds of music and yes I'd run full tilt with no problems.

I just sold a box with one of the audio legion sale subs I bought to a kid whom I knew would just immediately get down on it with all the power he had, so I broke it in a little for him. I’m not sure if it matters, but if it has moving parts, I always break it in. I wouldn’t throw the throttle down on a new motorcycle right off the lot either. I’d run the bike for a minute and listen for issues. With subs, i free air any sub I use or sell and see how it sounds before boxing it up also. I’m not arguing with anyone, It’s just something I do for piece of mind. I also never took amps from cold to hot in a short time, also probably just an OCD thing.

I just sold a box with one of the audio legion sale subs I bought to a kid whom I knew would just immediately get down on it with all the power he had, so I broke it in a little for him. I’m not sure if it matters, but if it has moving parts, I always break it in. I wouldn’t throw the throttle down on a new motorcycle right off the lot either. I’d run the bike for a minute and listen for issues. With subs, i free air any sub I use or sell and see how it sounds before boxing it up also. I’m not arguing with anyone, It’s just something I do for piece of mind. I also never took amps from cold to hot in a short time, also probably just an OCD thing.

Haha, I love when people cold Rev their trucks. It's all cool until you can look through the side of your block.

Matt

🤔 Two completely different things bro. And honestly once oil pressure is up, which takes seconds , it's not really gonna hurt anything.
Not quite how that works man. Oil has a viscosity rating. That rating is for a certain range of Temps. I'm in central Florida, so it's not as extreme, but my oil pressure at idle "cold" is 55-60 psi. Up to temp my idle oil pressure is 15-20 psi. I have a 4cyl turbo, so I stay out of the throttle as much as possible until I see my idle oil pressure down to at least 25psi, or at a 50mph cruise oil pressure at about 55psi.

Oil pressure doesn't equal oil flow. Oil pressure is actually the resistance of the oil flowing.

Matt

Not quite how that works man. Oil has a viscosity rating. That rating is for a certain range of Temps. I'm in central Florida, so it's not as extreme, but my oil pressure at idle "cold" is 55-60 psi. Up to temp my idle oil pressure is 15-20 psi. I have a 4cyl turbo, so I stay out of the throttle as much as possible until I see my idle oil pressure down to at least 25psi, or at a 50mph cruise oil pressure at about 55psi.

Oil pressure doesn't equal oil flow. Oil pressure is actually the resistance of the oil flowing.

Matt

Lmk if you'd ever like a CNC'd box haha. I'm close to you I assume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...