Box setup and db/hz questions

People here keep getting mad at me for saying dumb things. I'm a noob, which I stated and know, which is why I said so and am asking questions. What else am I supposed to go off of? Plus I said "I'm guessing", not "FOR A FACT"... I'm just trying to learn and do things from what I learn. Jeff, would you get mad at a kid for trying to put a circle in a square hole for the first time? I don't have any better way of knowing than trying, or being told. Plus if a noob comes by and sees the way you are doing things, that would also give a bad impression and might make people shy away from this forum or other car audio enthusiasts. I'll persevere because there is no where else for me to learn, but please think about the way you convey your messages.

I have messed with a build calculator, and I know subwoofers can be choked with a box with an air volume too small, which is why I want to use my ski pass as a port because when I mess with the calculator it shows I can achieve what I want by building a smaller box with a bigger port. IS THAT REASONABLE?

People here keep getting mad at me for saying dumb things. I'm a noob, which I stated and know, which is why I said so and am asking questions. What else am I supposed to go off of? Plus I said "I'm guessing", not "FOR A FACT"... I'm just trying to learn and do things from what I learn. Jeff, would you get mad at a kid for trying to put a circle in a square hole for the first time? I don't have any better way of knowing than trying, or being told. Plus if a noob comes by and sees the way you are doing things, that would also give a bad impression and might make people shy away from this forum or other car audio enthusiasts. I'll persevere because there is no where else for me to learn, but please think about the way you convey your messages.I have messed with a build calculator, and I know subwoofers can be choked with a box with an air volume too small, which is why I want to use my ski pass as a port because when I mess with the calculator it shows I can achieve what I want by building a smaller box with a bigger port. IS THAT REASONABLE?
I'm not mad at all. You are just taking offense in the wrong way. I'm just saying stuff bluntly as possible. If you get butthurt that easily, maybe the internet is not the place for you because there are far worse people on this site than me that will rip you a new one.

There's a proper way of designing enclosures and i'd start off doing research with that on proper port area, proper airspace and how displacement factors into everything. What you'd want would be a 4th order blowthrough through the ski pass for your car setup if you want the best results. I'd highly suggest paying for design since designing a proper one takes lots of experimentation and years of experience Or the right software.

Just to add on, most of the enclosure calculators online are pretty garbage like RE box calculator and 12 volt box calculator.

Thanks for the understanding. I'm thinking of paying cscstang for a box, or if possible to design a box I can build. I've been looking at subs and from what I see American Bass is a good brand, and wanted peoples opinion on the American Bass dx124. I see some other good things about it, even on this site however I'm not sure if it's just a different dust cap; and sites are lying about it's RMS but there are some visible differences. It's sold at American Bass DX124 600W Single 4-Ohm DX Series Car Subwoofer, but this specific one is only sold at a few websites as far as I can tell. All of the other ones I see have an RMS of 250. They also have different colored terminals and wires... What do you think?

Thanks for the understanding. I'm thinking of paying cscstang for a box, or if possible to design a box I can build. I've been looking at subs and from what I see American Bass is a good brand, and wanted peoples opinion on the American Bass dx124. I see some other good things about it, even on this site however I'm not sure if it's just a different dust cap; and sites are lying about it's RMS but there are some visible differences. It's sold at American Bass DX124 600W Single 4-Ohm DX Series Car Subwoofer, but this specific one is only sold at a few websites as far as I can tell. All of the other ones I see have an RMS of 250. They also have different colored terminals and wires... What do you think?
cscstang will hook you up but hes having a little bit of a break right now iirc, he may still be able to get you a design for a couple bucks but ill leave him to speak at that point, all i can say is listen to what he says, i thought 5 cubes NET @ 35 with a 8 inch octo port was crazy for one 15, but i nearly jumped out of my seat the first time that cheap sub on cheap power hit harder than i would of ever expected. if you can get 2 cubes NET run a single 12 IMO, any less and you'll want a single 10. as jeff said, a single 10 ported properly will be louder than 2 12s in less than 1 cube each.

ive had good luck with the hds3 series, so id try that first if you want a budget sub. but for a little more money you can get some really monster subs so consider putting your budget for 4 12s into a nice sub thatll hold value. the ab subs you posted are about as cheap as it gets lol they have a 2 inch coil my friend, 400-600w rms is probably realistic

embrace the rough love, you're learning the right way to do things, leave your feels behind.

oh actually, im not too familiar since these are new, but i remember the fiday subs were cheap and look pretty nice. 3 inch coil, much more power handling

http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/fiday-12/

Due to budget I'm leaning twards 2 sq hds212, so unless someone really thinks i'm going wrong here or if maybe one hds312 would be better for some reason. How big of a difference is the fs between the two really going to cause? I'm about ready to buy the subs. My head is hurting from over thinking things, and maybe I'm talking stupid by now from brain damage.

Soon I'll be going into college and ROTC, then who knows what so I don't want to put a lot of money into my car plus it's easy to break into... 1 minuet with two screwdrivers and a coat hanger is my record for getting in without keys.

And I'm still looking for a job and trying to save money for a motorcycle.

if you want multiple subs on a budget then the hds212 are probably fine but you need to figure out if you have the likely 4 cubes NET that you'll need for them

Due to budget I'm leaning twards 2 sq hds212, so unless someone really thinks i'm going wrong here or if maybe one hds312 would be better for some reason. How big of a difference is the fs between the two really going to cause? I'm about ready to buy the subs. My head is hurting from over thinking things, and maybe I'm talking stupid by now from brain damage.Soon I'll be going into college and ROTC, then who knows what so I don't want to put a lot of money into my car plus it's easy to break into... 1 minuet with two screwdrivers and a coat hanger is my record for getting in without keys.

And I'm still looking for a job and trying to save money for a motorcycle.
You'll need some where in the ball park of 16.5 height x 32 width x 25 depth of space for two HDS200 12s If you want them to get loud. If you got the space for it then go for it. It also might be cheaper to just do a single 15" hds 300/200

I'm pretty doubtful I can fit a 15" with a proper box into the trunk, my 12" in a little prefab box is pretty close to the top pushed against the seats. Also, the hds315 has a higher fs than the 12, so wouldn't the 12" get lower easyer?

Now a question I couldn't find ANYWHERE on the internet: If I had two 12"s at 600w or one 12" at 1,200w, which one would get lower?

This question is something that would be pretty helpful to know now. Maybe if more watts does ok, I can get the 312 and save up for an additional one in the future.

I'm pretty doubtful I can fit a 15" with a proper box into the trunk, my 12" in a little prefab box is pretty close to the top pushed against the seats. Also, the hds315 has a higher fs than the 12, so wouldn't the 12" get lower easyer?Now a question I couldn't find ANYWHERE on the internet: If I had two 12"s at 600w or one 12" at 1,200w, which one would get lower?

This question is something that would be pretty helpful to know now. Maybe if more watts does ok, I can get the 312 and save up for an additional one in the future.
that's dependent completely on the drivers and their enclosure. in theory 2 12s in their ideal enclosure tuned to say 32 would have the same roll off as the same but single driver in its ideal enclosure also tuned at 32 on double the power, but in reality the roll off will be different and likely the 2 12s on 600w will be louder because the enclosure is larger and takes up more volume inside the vehicle as well as the increased motor force. keep in mind this is setting phase issues aside. ideal enclosures are theoretical.

I could make a big box for the single sub too. Not considering box size, because I can take up the whole trunk for a single 12". Double size or double power, which get's lower is the question. The idea is one 1,250w rms 12" in a big box or two 600w rms 12"s in a big box.

I'm not sure if I'm getting explaining this well, but I'm not planing on saving space with one 12" it's just a question of which is better more power to one sub or more size same power to two subs.

I could make a big box for the single sub too. Not considering box size, because I can take up the whole trunk for a single 12". Double size or double power, which get's lower is the question. The idea is one 1,250w rms 12" in a big box or two 600w rms 12"s in a big box.I'm not sure if I'm getting explaining this well, but I'm not planing on saving space with one 12" it's just a question of which is better more power to one sub or more size same power to two subs.
two 12s has a lot more Cone area which will get you louder overall if you only have 1.2k rms to play with. However you should really measure the space. The measurements i gave you before are basically what you need to get two 12s moving properly and half of that would be for a single 12. I'd get at least 1.5k amp for those subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.