Box for two Sundown SA 15's

tigermax14
10+ year member

Here are the current plans for my box.

The box will be for two SA 15's powered by an SAX 1200 in an 05 tahoe. Dimensions will be 44"x22"x18" which comes out to 8.3^2 feet before displacement. Subs up, single 8 inch sonotube aeroport to the rear tuned at 31hz. Box comes to about 7.4^2 after sub, port, and dowel bracing displacement. I know the box is a little on the large side but this was recommended by Jacob at sundown to maximize the power I'm running, and the port area is a little low but this is a daily/lows box. Any input is appreciated and also what is the best way to run my speaker wires from the amp into the box? Also will take any tips on flaring sonotube. If I left anything out just ask. Thanks in advance

I would use two of those 8" tubes in a box that big if I were to go the aero route, Or one 10".. Why not just go with a square/slot? That's 44W 22D and 18H right?

Yea, its 44W 22D and 18H. Main reason I wanted to do aeros was because Ive never built a ported box and thought they would be easier and the tuning can be adjusted.

Bah.. If you've never built a ported box, just build one with a fixed Fb. I bet you'd only change it once or twice anyway for a quick metering. I'd give them like 6-7 cubes and plenty of port area. Slots actually easier than you think.

Isn't more port area mainly recommended when running high power set ups? Im gonna be giving them their 600 rms a piece which from what Ive read they will laugh at. The lower power is the reason I was going with the larger box

They won't exactly laugh at the power. A true 1200 rms will get those subs moving. And port area is not just for 'high power' setups. I'll whip a design up right quick.

Thanks for the responses, Jacob actually recommended 3 4" ports and 8 cubes after displacement based on my power. I wanted to bump it up a little with the 8" sonotube for ease and because real aeroports are expensive.

Just build this. Simple and solid. It works out great to your dimensions, gives you 15" per cube of port and leaves you just over 6 cubes net @ 33Hz. Sundown subs do awesome in smaller enclosures. You don't have to double baffle/flush mount, but it looks clean and adds support.

633-2.png

633-1.png

Well now I'm confused. That box design looks great it's just hard to go against what the owner of the company recommended. I just want to have a nice box that will play lows, be musical, and move air. I could care less what it meters. And the flush mount looks awesome but I don't have a jasper jig to cut perfect circles.

It'll slam lows, it'll move air and be plenty musical at 33Hz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif People are feeding 18" Nightshades their RMS in 6 cubes.. You could run the first setup no problem, but that's just not enough port area at all.

Personally I'd think the 8 cube AFTER displacement would be better for a pair of 15's. Don't you think the guy who designed the subs would know???

I'd also use 10" sono in that size box, but I doubt you'll have turbulence issues with 8". You may be able to use some chicken wire and paper mache to build flares. (I have not tried this, but have been told by reliable source that it works)

I like sono tube since you can tune low to start and use a utility knife to tune up a little at a time to test different tunings. If you go easy on the glue the first go it's easy to cut it out and put in a longer one after you decide on tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.