Box for two Sundown SA 15's

Personally I'd think the 8 cube AFTER displacement would be better for a pair of 15's. Don't you think the guy who designed the subs would know???
I'd also use 10" sono in that size box, but I doubt you'll have turbulence issues with 8". You may be able to use some chicken wire and paper mache to build flares. (I have not tried this, but have been told by reliable source that it works)

I like sono tube since you can tune low to start and use a utility knife to tune up a little at a time to test different tunings. If you go easy on the glue the first go it's easy to cut it out and put in a longer one after you decide on tuning.
Only problem with the 10" would be that it would be too long to rear fire. For a 32 hz tuning at 8^2 ft it would have to be around 19 inches long.

Can you make the box taller or bigger front to back? Porting out the driver's side works very well in SUV and assuming 44" side to side is tight, if you made it 34" side to side and ported out a side I think it would do well (and depth wouldn't be an issue).

Just something to think about. Bigger port is better, but 8" is adequate to avoid port noise.

max width is 48, depth really doesnt matter, and I would like to keep my height around 22 or below. Theres a lot of room to play with

I think I'm just gonna go with my original plan because Jacob recommended even less port area than I will have with the single 8", and I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff.

Changed up the dimensions a little to ensure enough space between the port and front wall. (40Wx26Dx18H) Right at 8^ft after displacement. Now just gotta decide if I wanna drop $50+ on a real 8" aeroport or live with a $6 sonotube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you watching me? I'm currently working on a design for 2-15" SA's, I have an 8" sono, my '99 Hoe has roughly the same dimensions to work with and I have a choice of giving them 500w per or 1kw per. I'll probably go with 500w per until I completely decide on tuning freq.

I have been running 1 of them in it to see which directions work best, all with sub firing up:

Port to rear corner is loudest.

Port to rear seemed the worst SOUNDING

Port to the side was perhaps the quietest but also sounded the best as it seemed to fill the cabin smoother and more evenly.

17"H x 41"W x 30"D

2-8" ports 24" in length after .38 of displacement for woofers and .2 for bracing= 8.04ft^ net with 12.5 port area per ft.

Final result is 32.30hz

AND with these dimensions it gives you freedom to choose to fire your port to the rear or to the side.

If you want I also have the cut measurements

Now if only I could decide on 32 or 37hz.

We should definitely keep each other informed on these builds. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Are you watching me? I'm currently working on a design for 2-15" SA's, I have an 8" sono, my '99 Hoe has roughly the same dimensions to work with and I have a choice of giving them 500w per or 1kw per. I'll probably go with 500w per until I completely decide on tuning freq.
I have been running 1 of them in it to see which directions work best, all with sub firing up:

Port to rear corner is loudest.

Port to rear seemed the worst SOUNDING

Port to the side was perhaps the quietest but also sounded the best as it seemed to fill the cabin smoother and more evenly.

17"H x 41"W x 30"D

2-8" ports 24" in length after .38 of displacement for woofers and .2 for bracing= 8.04ft^ net with 12.5 port area per ft.

Final result is 32.30hz

AND with these dimensions it gives you freedom to choose to fire your port to the rear or to the side.

If you want I also have the cut measurements

Now if only I could decide on 32 or 37hz.

We should definitely keep each other informed on these builds. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
When you refer to the loudest and quietest is that to the ear or confirmed on the meter? I'm not looking for numbers just to play low and move a little air. I'm going to try out the single 8" first based on Jacob's recommendation. How are you attaching the sonotube to your box and are you flaring at all? I've got everything but the subs so it will be a few weeks before I have everything installed. And from what Ive read I would go with the 1k per sub. I'll definitely let you know how my build goes. If you come up with any more info on port direction let me know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.