Bolting the Sub in the trunk, gas tank in the way?

crreed55
10+ year member

CT
Hi guys, this is my first ever install so I've been trying to do as much research as I can to make sure I do it right.

I'm installing a box with two subs in it and an amp. I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey van. I plan on putting the box in the trunk. I read about securing the box, and I looked into Velcro, but a lot of things I read did not advise this due to the box becoming a projectile in an accident. I went out to my car and looked under the trunk, and a huge gas tank is sitting under the trunk area. I can't see above it to tell if it's right on the car or there is a few inches clearance, but I don't want to take the chance of drilling into it. Has anyone ever seen something like that? Is it safe to use screws, and if not how else can I secure it? I tried looking around for these answers, both on the internet and on this forum, and I didn't find anything but I apologize if it's already been answered somewhere.

Plus I don't know how to screw the box into the trunk anyway. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks

lift the carpet in the trunk and looked for raised areas in the metal. use .5 self tapping screw and pop a hole in the raised area. Most gas tanks will have some kind of clearence be it .5" or more. Self tapper is a good way of popping a hole and not drilling into the gas tank like could happen with a drill bit. then get a paper clip and straighten it put it through the hole and measure the depth till the tank. Try and do this in the area of where you would actually bolt it down. Couple of way to bolt the box down. One is through the box itself, basically with the sub out ram a screw straight down. other way is L brackets outside the box

If what is mentioned above will not work, I can tell you that if you pick up some industrial grade velcro from a local Hobby store. (It will say industrial on it). This stuff STICKS. I had to remove a box for someone who used 4 strips of it and a box that weighed about 45 pounds and it took me working with a rubber coated pry bar to get it off. Dont underestimate the sticky

Know what else wont hold up in a rollover?
pretty much everything, thats why i carry a mace in my car

Bump an 8 year old thread for that???

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...