Blew my sub -__-

cartermarriott

OC CA
Hey guys, Im pretty new to the whole audio game but I'm already hooked. so about 2 weeks ago I got my first ever sub and amp installed in my scion tc. Its a Kicker CompR 10" in a sealed .8cu ft box and a Kicker 600.1 amp. both sub and amp are 600w RMS. I was loving the setup until today. I had a long day at work today and I was playing music a little louder than normal on the way home and ended up blowing my sub... pretty bummed since its less than 2 weeks old. Luckily the store I bought it from is gonna give me store credit for it which was $130. My question to you guys is, should I get something else other than the same kicker compr? i was looking at the kicker cvx or l7 ($200-250)... I'm trying to keep my budged in the 200$ range and get something that is still around 600w rms... I like my bass to sound powerful but still have good quality. I know a lot of people on here hate on kicker and probably for good reason. Like i said I'm very new to all of this so any advice would be helpful.. Thanks!

Hey guys, Im pretty new to the whole audio game but I'm already hooked. so about 2 weeks ago I got my first ever sub and amp installed in my scion tc. Its a Kicker CompR 10" in a sealed .8cu ft box and a Kicker 600.1 amp. both sub and amp are 600w RMS. I was loving the setup until today. I had a long day at work today and I was playing music a little louder than normal on the way home and ended up blowing my sub... pretty bummed since its less than 2 weeks old. Luckily the store I bought it from is gonna give me store credit for it which was $130. My question to you guys is, should I get something else other than the same kicker compr? i was looking at the kicker cvx or l7 ($200-250)... I'm trying to keep my budged in the 200$ range and get something that is still around 600w rms... I like my bass to sound powerful but still have good quality. I know a lot of people on here hate on kicker and probably for good reason. Like i said I'm very new to all of this so any advice would be helpful.. Thanks!
Kicker is way over priced man. Try one of these both cheap and both better and louder.

C2 Audio 12" Threatcon-2

Alpine SWR 12D2 Type R 12" Dual 2 Ohm 1000W Subwoofer 793276011794 | eBay

Both can handle 1k rms easily and both have good sound quality.

They carry all the major brands but say they can get "anything" in store upon recommendation. And yeah my amp wasn't set right, I had the shop install it and they had it set with the gain about 3/4 and the bass boost about 3/4 as well. and my bass knob was about half way up when it blew. I realize now that i should've done research and tuned it myself but hey you live and learn right.

Im thinking about the alpine type r... this is a super noob question but since its rated for 300-1000w rms, my amp is only rated at 670rms, is that gonna be a good match?
Its fine but you'll need a proper custom designed ported box(no ebay or any other premade bullsh*t). Fk the sealed. You can do with more power. I'm guessing you want it sounding loud and getting decent sound quality?

what amp is it?

Im thinking about the alpine type r... this is a super noob question but since its rated for 300-1000w rms, my amp is only rated at 670rms, is that gonna be a good match?
It'll be perfectly fine. Buy you a digital multimeter and use it to set your gain and keep the bass boost all the way down if you use any bass boost just use the head unit and only + 1 or 2. Also since you're going to have store credit why don't you name some of the component speakers they have or maybe head units and let us know what they have and we can recommend what to spend the store credit on.

It'll be perfectly fine. Buy you a digital multimeter and use it to set your gain and keep the bass boost all the way down if you use any bass boost just use the head unit and only + 1 or 2. Also since you're going to have store credit why don't you name some of the component speakers they have or maybe head units and let us know what they have and we can recommend what to spend the store credit on.
Thanks for your response. I'm working on putting together a complete sound system, but I'm still looking at speakers. So far I have a pioneer avh 4600 head unit and an infinity reference 475 4 channel amp that can do 90w rms at 2 ohms. I haven't installed either of these things I just got them yesterday. I'm thinking about the alpine type r or type s for front and rear speakers. and my store credit is gonna be used all on the new sub, I have 130 store credit and it's 140

Thanks for your response. I'm working on putting together a complete sound system, but I'm still looking at speakers. So far I have a pioneer avh 4600 head unit and an infinity reference 475 4 channel amp that can do 90w rms at 2 ohms. I haven't installed either of these things I just got them yesterday. I'm thinking about the alpine type r or type s for front and rear speakers. and my store credit is gonna be used all on the new sub, I have 130 store credit and it's 140
Thats actually not a bad price for a brand new type R in a walk-in store. Definitely put them in a proper box if you want them to shine. Type R speakers generally sound decent overall. Type S speakers, you'll need a good source, acoustical door treatments and tuning if you want them to sound as good. Definitely set your gains right this time with a DMM. I'm serious about ditching the sealed box though. especially if you are planning on underpowering them.

oh snaps, didnt notice you are in the oc also lol. If you want to hear how type Rs sound in a car environment, you can hit me up for a demo, I got a pair in my doors. If you need a custom ported box man, CSCstang's your man, he does great work and very affordable compared to shop prices, will Definitely get you sounding great while bumping a lot harder.

If that shop has the Type R make sure its the newer one. There's 2 kinds the older ones which I believe only come with a silver cone and are 500 rms and the newer ones which I believe only come with the black cone which is the 1k rms one. Also either the Type R or Type S components will have very good sound quality. I know for sure the Type S do because I have a set in my Prelude and I'm pretty sure the Type R's are better. Sadly I am running them off my hu because I can't afford the electrical and another amp to run them yet.

oh snaps, didnt notice you are in the oc also lol. If you want to hear how type Rs sound in a car environment, you can hit me up for a demo, I got a pair in my doors. If you need a custom ported box man, CSCstang's your man, he does great work and very affordable compared to shop prices, will Definitely get you sounding great while bumping a lot harder.
that would be awesome man! ill pm you! and yeah I'm gonna hit him up shortly for a custom box. Im definitely gonna ditch that sealed box i feel like thats some of the reason i blew it out cuz i had to play it way louder with the undersized sealed box to get the sound i wanted.

If that shop has the Type R make sure its the newer one. There's 2 kinds the older ones which I believe only come with a silver cone and are 500 rms and the newer ones which I believe only come with the black cone which is the 1k rms one. Also either the Type R or Type S components will have very good sound quality. I know for sure the Type S do because I have a set in my Prelude and I'm pretty sure the Type R's are better. Sadly I am running them off my hu because I can't afford the electrical and another amp to run them yet.
Okay, do you think type R's are worth the extra money? I can get front and rear type s for like 150-175, where the type rs are like 250-300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.