Brand new subs bottoming out

I just got 2 brand new alpine type r 12's yesterday I have them on a hifonics brutus 1500 at 1 ohm. These things have been great but today one of the subs started bottoming out at volumes where it wasn't previously doing it. I didn't smell any burning of the coil and my gain was only half way and seeing how I have them underpowered by 500 watts I don't see how I could have damaged it. Can someone please help me out?

Right now I have them in a prefab ported enclosure that fits the specs of the subs besides the port being too small. I'm in the process of having a custom box made for them. What I don't understand is why it just started to happen when I was playing the same songs at the same volume yesterday and it wasn't happening

Had some type R's in a prefab before. Needless to say it blew all the seems apart on the pre-fab and made it sound like the sub was bottoming out. Start going around knocking on all the seems of the box then play the subs with one of the songs it seems to do it with then start holding the corners and edges to see if it gets worse or stops. The type R's have been known to come with 2 separate sets of spiders and it could be possible you separated 1 set of them as well.

Could just look like that in the video, but the subs aren't moving much. Either damaged suspension or much more likely, loose panel on the box. Take them out and free-air them (carefully) to see if the subs still make that sound. Or try putting pressure on various walls of the box with your hands to see if the rattle diminishes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.