High power sub bass cut offs

Participant count
  • Participant list

los33

Car Audio G
Houston, TX
Just recently started having a small issue.

I just purchased a American Bass VFL Hybrid 4480.1D and is being run @ 2 ohms clamped around 1100 watts with box rise only upto 2.4ohms.

I tuned the amp correctly and it is not clipping as far as signal clip.

Also it takes max 4guage power and i currently am using 4guage cca with a 145 amp fuse.

The manual asks for 125 i think it was, but i dont see no issues as gain is only 50%.

Now all the headunit settings are flat even the sub antenuation level setting is 0 with no bass boost or loudness.

When i turn up the bass using the knob on some songs it seems to make my sub cut out very very breifly like if my wires are tapping, which is why i mean very breif.

The amps protection light blinks quickly on and off when it does this, but never fully cuts out.

All my wires and ground are good, but im starting to think the wires inside the sub box are somehow connecting and disconnecting breifly from the motor force when the bass is turned up. Yes they are direct connects and taped, no wire nuts being used.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Four gauge CCA is only good for 100 amps at ~17' so get some more power to the amp. Zero gauge CCA would be fine.
Would this be the case even for 10-12'?

Not to forget its audio technix..

Also would that be the only reason?

Would this be the case even for 10-12'?Not to forget its audio technix..

Also would that be the only reason?
Shorter runs can carry slightly more current but you are overloading the wire you have. There could be other causes of the problem you're having but that's irrelevant at this point because we know you are overloading the wire you have.

Shorter runs can carry slightly more current but you are overloading the wire you have. There could be other causes of the problem you're having but that's irrelevant at this point because we know you are overloading the wire you have.
Had his same problem with that same amp a while ago. I had 0 gauge ofc with 4 gauge reducers on stout electricals, its another issue regarding the amp itself.

Four gauge CCA is only good for 100 amps at ~17' so get some more power to the amp. Zero gauge CCA would be fine.
People don't give CCA enough credit... I'm running about 12' of Knu CCA 4 Gauge on 1300 Watts with a 100A fuse and nothing has given me issue. Grant it Rockford amps are highly efficient, even their Prime models.

But OP, this is still likely a big problem.

Being this isnt premium wire i wouldnt doubt that.

Had his same problem with that same amp a while ago. I had 0 gauge ofc with 4 gauge reducers on stout electricals, its another issue regarding the amp itself.
Im going to try it out first before i assume your issue goes for all 4480s

People don't give CCA enough credit... I'm running about 12' of Knu CCA 4 Gauge on 1300 Watts with a 100A fuse and nothing has given me issue. Grant it Rockford amps are highly efficient, even their Prime models.

But OP, this is still likely a big problem.
Knu has some very high strand counts tho compared to others.

Being this isnt premium wire i wouldnt doubt that.

Im going to try it out first before i assume your issue goes for all 4480s

Knu has some very high strand counts tho compared to others.
There's nothing wrong with the wire you're using in and of itself... it's just not large enough.

I'm not sure if I should've started a new thread, if so please forgive, but I'm having the same problem with my AB VFL4480.1D....and I just bought it.

My power wire is small, 4 gauge currently....not sure length, amp is under passenger seat on 1" risers for venting. It's the wire from my last setup: Alpine MRP-M1000 & 2 x 10" Type R's (dual 4 Ohm's, wired 1 Ohm). I had no problems with the M1000, even wired officially-unstable @1 Ohm. I tuned the it using crutchfield's directions, finding my headunit's volume limit before distortion, etc.

My new setup is: AB VFL4480.1d & 1 JBL W12gti mkii (wired @3 Ohm).

I hope eventually for 3 W12gti mkii's @.75 Ohm (Mylowes10 mentioned VFL4480.1d @.5 Ohm no problem 2600W RMS)....but right now I have 1.

I haven't tuned the amp yet & will once I replace the wiring. But I still know my headunit (Pioneer AVH-X2600BT)'s volume limit point. I have the amp gain less than 50%, but play with the Bass Boost knob. But how did the 4gauge wire work fine cranking an Alpine MRP M1000 @1 Ohm, but the VFL4800.1d @3 Ohm drops out at high-ish volume (& comes back on as I immediately turn the volume down)?

I'm only using a 60amp in-line fuse, not the suggested 120a, and it's never blown....so am I really pushing too much through the 4guage wire?

Any possibility the JBL MKii has a protect mechanism that would cut the sound for a sec?

My battery is XS Power D4800, I just did the Big 3 & got a Mechman HO alternator installed.

I'll be upgrading my amp's power/ground to XS POWER's 1/0 gauge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.