Bigger Battery or Bigger Alternator

biglinton
10+ year member

Hey guys and gals.....im so lost...ok basically i have a 1989 camaro rs with a stock alternator and battery my buddy has a 1982 elcamino wit (8) eight powerhorns underneath 2 15's in the cab a 4000 watt amp and a 400 for the highs and all he is using the stock alt with a bigger battery (i believe its a 800cca battery) he has no flashing or cut out or anything however little ol me with my 2 12"s 1200 watt amp and speakers ran off the deck get the flashing lights and rpm gauge goes down like crazy

my question is is it better to get a HO alternator or a bigger battery and why cause it seems a bigger battery is working for him LOL THANK YOU!!!!!!!

you shouldnt be having these problems. i power a bigger amp in my honda which has a 60 amp alternator and a battery that looks like a lawn mower battery with zero issues. look over your wiring - make sure all connections are tight and your grounds are good.

if all else fails a better alternator would be the trick. your alternator might actually be on its way out. theres no way that you shouldnt be able to power that amp if ur wiring is right and your alternator is fully functional. any pep boys or autozone will test your alternator and battery for free.

you shouldnt be having these problems. i power a bigger amp in my honda which has a 60 amp alternator and a battery that looks like a lawn mower battery with zero issues. look over your wiring - make sure all connections are tight and your grounds are good.

if all else fails a better alternator would be the trick. your alternator might actually be on its way out. theres no way that you shouldnt be able to power that amp if ur wiring is right and your alternator is fully functional. any pep boys or autozone will test your alternator and battery for free.

i mean the only thing i did was change the wire that goes from my alternator to my battery to a 4ga it was like a 10ga before (stock) i guess these older cars dont really like all this new power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It sounds like the alt/battery is on the way out or you've got some problems with your wiring. Get them checked.. you shouldn't be experiencing problems pushing that power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.