Big Bass fanatic to 100% SQ fanatic

WarDrumz
10+ year member

Hebrew Israelite
After riding around looking silly listening to my stereo wearing earplugz, setting car alarms off everywhere, and having people at stoplights roll up their windows, I've decided that Sound Quality & my hearing is WAY more important.

My stereo is impossible to listen to for more than 2 or 3 minutes without earplugz. All this with only one 15" in a vented box tuned to 35hz.

I have fallen in love with Sound Quality and less SPL, and I am now thinking of putting my Crystal CMPx2 in a sealed enclosure. When I put the sub's volume on -10 on my HU the sound seems to blend together so perfect with my car speakers. The bass doesn't drown out everything like it does on the regular level. I love how beautiful it sounds, especially with some r&b songs. I swear my car stereo can shut down some SUV stereos easily the way it is now.

My question is, do you think putting the sub in the recommended sealed enclosure will be enough volume for me to "feel" my music, but not hurt my ears?

Though you might say just keep the HU on -10, if I take out the bigger vented box and put the sealed one in, I can then fit my spare tire in my trunk once again. I will if you guys think the sealed setup will work. I will get it metered b4 the switch.

The sub has an xcursion of 28mm each way, so it might just be all I need, sealed. But I'd like some opinions first.

Thanx

i havent heard the crystal but suposedly its a **** good sub that gets hella loud. Id pick up a magnum d2. theyr 300(for 12") or 350 bucks shipped. id get the 15". i bought one. Should be here early next week. from the people who ive talked to that have em they say its the best sounding woofer theyve heard.

Nothing wrong with Sealed boxes.

how much power are u gona run to the sub?

i havent heard the crystal but suposedly its a **** good sub that gets hella loud. Id pick up a magnum d2. theyr 300(for 12") or 350 bucks shipped. id get the 15". i bought one. Should be here early next week. from the people who ive talked to that have em they say its the best sounding woofer theyve heard.Nothing wrong with Sealed boxes.

I have a Hifonics BX1500 on it's way. Right now I have a funny sounding Ultimate DD1-1300S. The lows with that amp are horrible, like the damping factor is low or something. But yeah, I'll have about 1500wrms, I'll probably only need about 1000 to get full potential from the sub. That'll give me a little headroom.

Tell me more about the Magnum 15" sub. What is the X-max and the recommended sealed volume?

Nevermind. I found the website. I like that it doesn't take alot of power for it to knock. But I'm always interested in things I don't actually need.

My Crystal sounds wonderful. It sounded darn near perfect, atleast to me, when I had it hooked up to a Tantrum 1200.1.

I've been told that "xmax" times "Sd" = the amount of air a sub can displace. I don't know the exact Sd of my Crystal, but it's xmax is longer than the D2's is, and the cone area looks pretty big.

Here are the numbers on the one I have, I don't know what most of them mean:

CMPx2 15"

Fs= 23.5hz

Qms= 7.33

Vas= 4.2cu.ft./119 liters

Cms= 0.123 mm/N

Mmd= 12.7 oz/360 grams

Xmax (each way)= 1.10in./28mm

Qes= 0.56

Re= 2.0 Ohms

Z= 2.0 ohms

BL= 14.0 Telsa/m

Pe= 1600 Watts

Qts= 0.52

SPL= 92.2dB

V.C.= 3in. diameter/75mm

I occasionally play some Bass Mekanik, and this sub plays LOW LOW. I'm satisfied with it. Vented, like I said, it is MONSTEROUS, in my vehicle anyway.

I'm just trying to decide if dropping it in a sealed box will be enough volume for me. I'm leaning towards Yes. And as hard as it seems to be able to, it might even sound better sealed.

A decrease in volume, and a little bit more "tightness" is pointing right to SEALED.

What do yall think?

If you can build a box yourself, I'd go sealed for sure. Even if you don't like it, you can always go back to ported, and you will only be out about 40-50 bucks.

Just my 2cents.

DEFINITELY go sealed. my 2 12s get WAY loud in a sealed box, but sound super-tight. they won't win me any comps, but i can still get the oldies to roll up their windows if necessary.

abe m.

I've been told that "xmax" times "Sd" = the amount of air a sub can displace. I don't know the exact Sd of my Crystal, but it's xmax is longer than the D2's is, and the cone area looks pretty big.

I'm just trying to decide if dropping it in a sealed box will be enough volume for me. I'm leaning towards Yes. And as hard as it seems to be able to, it might even sound better sealed.

A decrease in volume, and a little bit more "tightness" is pointing right to SEALED.

What do yall think?
displacement is 2*xmax*Sd btw..

i'm in the same situation as you are. i have a 15 brahma in a 3 ft tuned to 30 hz. Get headaches from just playing pink floyd. i might build a sealed box or just get 2 smaller 10"/12" subs.

I would build a sealed box(why not?) costs no more than maybe $20. So how you like it. I'm sure it'll still get **** loud. btw what's the recommended box size for that cmp?

i havent heard the crystal but suposedly its a **** good sub that gets hella loud. Id pick up a magnum d2. theyr 300(for 12") or 350 bucks shipped. id get the 15". i bought one. Should be here early next week. from the people who ive talked to that have em they say its the best sounding woofer theyve heard.Nothing wrong with Sealed boxes.

why would he waste his money on a sub when he's got one that can perform just as good/if not better? Unless he has the money to blow, then sure why not get another sub and do a comparison

Put that crystal in a sealed box and be done with it.U already sound like u love that speaker,so keep it and seal it.

why would he waste his money on a sub when he's got one that can perform just as good/if not better? Unless he has the money to blow, then sure why not get another sub and do a comparison
my bad, i thought he said he was GOING to get a crystal cmpx.

I would definetly put it in a sealed box. Nothing wrong with sealed.

displacement is 2*xmax*Sd btw..
i'm in the same situation as you are. i have a 15 brahma in a 3 ft tuned to 30 hz. Get headaches from just playing pink floyd. i might build a sealed box or just get 2 smaller 10"/12" subs.

I would build a sealed box(why not?) costs no more than maybe $20. So how you like it. I'm sure it'll still get **** loud. btw what's the recommended box size for that cmp?
Man, you have no idea how bad I wish I had the tools to make a box for myself. Local audio stores charge $200 for a single 15 box. Though, that's with 1" MDF, but still, that's high.

I have a R/T Mobile sealed box that is 2.35 cu.ft.. And since the sub's displacement is .3 that would give it exactly 2 cubic feet. And since I have a matching 15" CMPx2 in my room, I'll just put that one in there and switch the boxes out, and see how it sounds. If I don't like it I can simply switch again without having to unscrew anything.

Yep, sounds like a plan.

BTW, the recommended volumes for the Crystal CMPx2 15 are:

2 cubic feet sealed

3 cubic feet vented

My box is supposed to be tuned to 26hz, but it's 35 instead. O-well, lol. That would call for a mile long vent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.