Best sub for clarity?

I was assuming a low inductance design with that comment, should have made that clear, I didn't, that's my fault. And it is true, there is no perfect design, XBL^2 increases BL linearity but decreases power handling. LMT/LMS raises power handling but increases moving mass due to the large coil, lowers BL due to the wider gap and somewhat increases inductance. Underhung decreses powerhandling and overhung increases inductance. There is no perfect design, but as long as you implement one of those strategies while paying attention to the negatives and taking some methods to offset them, you will be getting a better driver as John has done as well as Nick.
Xbl^2 does not decrease power handling.

I had a customer run me through a bunch of hoops because low carbon steel wasn't "good enough" for what he wanted to do. He wanted something better. Material wise there are some Iron/Cobalt alloys like the Carpenter Hiperco50 and Hiperco27 that on paper look good. The 50 isn't machinable, and the 27 is ridiculously expensive. I looked into doing just the poles out of it. For 2" diameter bar stock it's around $213 per INCH! Crazy stuff.
Speaking of crazy materials... on the DIYaudio forum there was a debate about VC wire that is somewhat interesting. People claimed that none of the VC wires used today are idea as they all have rising resistance with heat. Apparently nobody should buy another woofer from anyone until development is done on a new imaginary, ideal, perfect VC material that doesn't have resistive rise with heat. haha

John
Nice. No resistance rise with heat is pretty much impossible I believe, but some people are dumb, lol. I do like the above suggestion, find some high temp super conductors and put them as the VC material //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It looks like ill be getting an idq sub, now im wondering, since I want to stay with clarity/sound quality, what should I tune my box to. ported or sealed? how much hertz. Thanks

BTW - I know someone how makes really good sub boxes so hes gonna make me one, just want ot knwo what to tell him, hear his suggestions and yours.

Also, that lambda motor doesn't look much different from a standard overhung design with a copper shorting ring.

Don't let the visual simplicity fool you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Compared to an overhung design it would as it uses a shorter length of coil.

Also, John, you have a PM!
The length of the coil is not the only determination of power handling. Xbl^2, as has been stated many times by Dan Wiggins, inventor of xbl^2.... does not inherently reduce power handling.

First, I think you misunderstood John's post. He was agreeing w/ Electrodynamic, not disagreeing with him. Their links say essentially the same thing; Inductance is the limiting factor in the "speed" (and hence bandwidth) of a driver.
Second, linear Bl is great for improving non-linear distortion but doesn't really address the issue of "speed"; i.e. inductance and bandwidth. You can have highly linear BL with sky high inductance that severely limits the bandwidth (and hence "speed") of the driver.

Very true here, and the inductance is also what determines the phase shift of the driver.

Nice. No resistance rise with heat is pretty much impossible I believe, but some people are dumb, lol. I do like the above suggestion, find some high temp super conductors and put them as the VC material //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
It would be perfect. No thermal power handling rating to speak of for the simple reason that resistance would be so low there would not be a big voltage drop and thus not a build up of heat in the coil...amp stability would be a bit of an issue though...

It would be perfect. No thermal power handling rating to speak of for the simple reason that resistance would be so low there would not be a big voltage drop and thus not a build up of heat in the coil...amp stability would be a bit of an issue though...
True, because if it was a true superconductor it would have virtually 0 resistance and would thus basically have current shoot off to infinity.

Buy the Squeekinator!
I hear it's afreakinmazing.
Squeakinator has an "a" in it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Regardless, this is still spectacularly splendid advice!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.