Best sub for clarity?

Let's not write off mass completely. It is still relevant, but is "swamped" by the effects of the voice coil's inductance. And, in a very general sense, the difference in mass from one driver to the next of any given size is very small. Speed is a frequency response thing....isn't that right, Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

edit: The huge advantage of XBL^2 is the shorter coil and lower static inductance. Oh, and linear BL can be achieved through manipulation of the flux field rather than through manipulation of the windings....that's a big difference, too, compared to LMS/LMT or Split Coil.

Let's not write off mass completely. It is still relevant, but is "swamped" by the effects of the voice coil's inductance. And, in a very general sense, the difference in mass from one driver to the next of any given size is very small. Speed is a frequency response thing....isn't that right, Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

edit: The huge advantage of XBL^2 is the shorter coil and lower static inductance. Oh, and linear BL can be achieved through manipulation of the flux field rather than through manipulation of the windings....that's a big difference, too, compared to LMS/LMT or Split Coil.
No, no Fourier transforms, no Fourier series, I just got done with that stuff!! Fourier stuff is hard, it's hard to think in the frequency domain, much easier to think in the time domain.

As for mass, you are correct, what is much more important is stiffness of the cone. You can have 2 identical mass cones, one that is super stiff and one that isn't. The softer one will cause frequency smearing as well as standing waves on the cone. It also lowers the radiating area as the center will move with the VC but the edge will stay much more stationary. This effect is actually used to the designers advantage in phase plug drivers, since the middle is has much quicker transient response and can reproduce high frequencies it is used as a tweeter basically. The driver however directs the sound into the center of the cone, with the phase plug it hits the plug and deflects on a path to the listening area.

It looks like ill be getting an idq sub, now im wondering, since I want to stay with clarity/sound quality, what should I tune my box to. ported or sealed? how much hertz. Thanks
BTW - I know someone how makes really good sub boxes so hes gonna make me one, just want to know what to tell him, hear his suggestions and yours.
bump

I would port the IDQ and tune it low in 1.5 cubes....

If you don't have the room for that go sealed in 1.0 or 1.1 cubes....

I personally would port it if possible and get the perfect box made for it by someone who knows what they are doing. You will enjoy the extra output you will get, and still retain the SQ. I wish I could spare my backseat for a ported box for mine, but I need it, thus the sealed stealth install. Gets loud enough for me though.

What is spl? Im assuming that has something to do with loudness. I want a pure sq build, itl be loud enough, so im just looking for nice clean, crisp bass

i got my IDQ v.3 12 inch in a ported box 1.9 @ 28 hz and i got to say, they really boom and still retain that tight bass response. But since you are looking for pure SQ, i would suggest a sealed box @ 1 cu ft. Give the IDQ v.3 about 500 rms and you are set. Tomorrow imma post up some pictures.

Linear inductance is not the same as low inductance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
"Best" is a bit subjective. There's trade-offs being made with every design decision or implementation.......
Ala Senor Hoffman.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.