Best SQ sub for under $250?

No, I can't put in a aftermarket HU. If I do I lose the functionality of the flip up nav screen and the in-dash mouse that works the nav.I know that limits me to jacking a signal from what I assume is a pre-filtered factory channel. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Why did car makers have to make it so hard to switch out the factory head unit?!? So many intergrated periphials.
That's a development over the past 20 years that really ***** for aftermarket audio guys lol. A processor may definitely bein your future then if you decide to follow through with improving your sound.

Heard the ultimax 15 sealed in a car and one in HT with 6 cubes tuned to 22hz. HO was 1.6 cubes ported tuned to 32hz in a car. Heard the ho sealed in a house as well, not too impressive but was better on music than the ultimax in either setups.
The ultimax basically came alive in a big ported box tuned low otherwise its lackluster on music.
so you mean that its just not efficient up top? the Le is 1.2MH @ 1khz.

my drivers QES is .7 and its punchy as **** even in 4.35 cubes. I think you might have hear the wrong alignment for the car. they actually don't need large boxes to get stupid low. the Higher QE is much more efficient down low.

you even notice how higher QES drivers with lower QMS always to so much better below tuning than low QES higher QMS drivers?

fyi displacement is everything sealed ESP if you want extention which i'm sure he wants a F10 of around 25hz..
Yeah, I added the disclaimer about sealed immediately after I made that post. I figured the OP would lean towards more output than a sealed woofer would provide, but it is a valid point if he does decide to go sealed.

you cannot alter the drivers actual damping through a pot buddy. you can alter the load the "amplifier" sees..The QES of .6- to .8 is much closer to being critically damped as for as electrical purposes(QES)

the new job *****. the programmer is a jackass that's job scared. hes a aeronautical engineer and he gets intimidated when anyone who know about programming of electronics works there.

He won't even let us monitor the program (ifix by GE) for preventive maintenance instead they rather the ******* factory go down. lol

but i usually make a decent living working 40 hours so i'm good. i have time to sleep and have a life.
No, the actual QES is changed otherwise you're not changing what the amplifier "sees". You are essentially creating a close circuit that is moving within a magnetic field and I'm sure you can work from first principles what that means. ;-) Don't forget your right hand rule. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By using a potentiometer you're not bound to having a short or an open circuit. You have a continuum which means your QES will fall somewhere between the nominal QES of the driver and ~ double the nominal QES.

That ***** about the AE. Is he early career? He may just have beginner shakes when he realizes his job isn't all that specialized. Also good to hear you have a bit more free time. Working >60 hours is for the birds.

Are you all using vibration analysis for machine maintenance? That's some cool stuff. Takes some FFTs and classify some abnormal frequencies and you have a dynamic monitor of what maintenance a machine needs.

BTW OP ignore this conversation unless you have an interest in more of the minutia. Ultimately this stuff is just a pissing contest.

so you mean that its just not efficient up top? the Le is 1.2MH @ 1khz.my drivers QES is .7 and its punchy as **** even in 4.35 cubes. I think you might have hear the wrong alignment for the car. they actually don't need large boxes to get stupid low. the Higher QE is much more efficient down low.

you even notice how higher QES drivers with lower QMS always to so much better below tuning than low QES higher QMS drivers?
yup not efficient up top past 45hz in either sealed or ported. Low end is not a problem for the ultimax. top end ******.

Yeah, I added the disclaimer about sealed immediately after I made that post. I figured the OP would lean towards more output than a sealed woofer would provide, but it is a valid point if he does decide to go sealed.

No, the actual QES is changed otherwise you're not changing what the amplifier "sees". You are essentially creating a close circuit that is moving within a magnetic field and I'm sure you can work from first principles what that means. ;-) Don't forget your right hand rule. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By using a potentiometer you're not bound to having a short or an open circuit. You have a continuum which means your QES will fall somewhere between the nominal QES of the driver and ~ double the nominal QES.

That ***** about the AE. Is he early career? He may just have beginner shakes when he realizes his job isn't all that specialized. Also good to hear you have a bit more free time. Working >60 hours is for the birds.

Are you all using vibration analysis for machine maintenance? That's some cool stuff. Takes some FFTs and classify some abnormal frequencies and you have a dynamic monitor of what maintenance a machine needs.

BTW OP ignore this conversation unless you have an interest in more of the minutia. Ultimately this stuff is just a pissing contest.
you what the pot to do what? except just limit the damping of the circuit? you realize that the externally trying to alter the QES in this way only increase inductance/reactance lower dampening over the drivers actual coil?

yea i think he realizes he paid 60k and went to school for 5 years only to get some fat lil moron to challenge his whole life as a maintenance tech. lol

e won't tell me anything. so i told him at 4am when i have a control issue he better wake his *** up. LOL

you what the pot to do what? except just limit the damping of the circuit? you realize that the externally trying to alter the QES in this way only increase inductance/reactance lower dampening over the drivers actual coil?
yea i think he realizes he paid 60k and went to school for 5 years only to get some fat lil moron to challenge his whole life as a maintenance tech. lol

e won't tell me anything. so i told him at 4am when i have a control issue he better wake his *** up. LOL
If you want we can continue the dynamic increase of QES stuff via PM so we don't clutter the thread further and I can reply after getting some work I need to do finished. The topic is really beyond the scope of the thread.

As far as the AE let him season a few years and he will learn better...or not and then he will have some explaining to do when stuff goes wrong and he wasn't there.

If you want we can continue the dynamic increase of QES stuff via PM so we don't clutter the thread further and I can reply after getting some work I need to do finished. The topic is really beyond the scope of the thread.
As far as the AE let him season a few years and he will learn better...or not and then he will have some explaining to do when stuff goes wrong and he wasn't there.
or you could make a tread in the technical section. because i sure would like to see what kinda **** you have come-up with. lol

The IDQ but it will max out your space. I'm happy wth it and I'm a picky mofo.
The IDQ is one of my main options. Mostly because there are no other suggestions around my price. (other than the dayton)

Would 1.5cubes be enough? I can get a prebuilt box ($35) at 1.5, but for 1.8 or larger I'd have to get it custom made ($150)

In a perfect world I could just replace the 8in free air that is mounted on the rear deck, and that would be enough. Probably would use a ID8.

I need some kind of pod/cup to add to my rear deck to create a small enclosure for the rear deck.

The IDQ is one of my main options. Mostly because there are no other suggestions around my price. (other than the dayton)Would 1.5cubes be enough? I can get a prebuilt box ($35) at 1.5, but for 1.8 or larger I'd have to get it custom made ($150)

In a perfect world I could just replace the 8in free air that is mounted on the rear deck, and that would be enough. Probably would use a ID8.

I need some kind of pod/cup to add to my rear deck to create a small enclosure for the rear deck.
Get the custom. Those $35 are not what they say they are.

The IDQ is one of my main options. Mostly because there are no other suggestions around my price. (other than the dayton)Would 1.5cubes be enough? I can get a prebuilt box ($35) at 1.5, but for 1.8 or larger I'd have to get it custom made ($150)

Were your space requirements due to box availibility or space availibility?

Were your space requirements due to box availibility or space availibility?
Space availability. I have acouple of ported single 12 designs that are shallow enough to fit in the space I want to give up, and I am in contact with a box maker in Florida. So I can go custom if need be.

I just mentioned the pre-fab box bc it saves $150, and I figure "how can a company screw up a 3/4 mdf sealed box?".

I have also been thinking about just replacing the factory 8in free air sub on the rear deck. Just get a 8in sub and single small amp, and see how much bass that gets me. But I'd have to pay a shop to mount/widen the rear deck location, or fiberglass it into a enclosure, and in the end that not be enough bass.

I was about to say I could fit a 12 GCON ported, but then I looked at the recommended specs. GCON's while in the same wattage range as the SA 12, require so much more box. I'm guessing this is a SQ thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.