Best sq box for a 15in Kicker CVX with Kicker ZX1000.1

Hey, I am building my first custom box for my Kicker CVX 15. I talk to Kicker and they said the best box for sq is a 2.5cuft sealed. I was thinking of making it out of 1in mdf because of the power but don't know if it will make a sound difference. I figured the dimensions would be 31in wide-17in tall-12in deep (internal dimesions 29-15-10). It's going in a 4dr Jimmy now but i most likely am getting a pickup truck soon. What would be the best glue to use and silicone to seal it. Should I strengthen the box and if so how would i do it. I have 2 15in L7s and they beat my truck up, I lost a bolt from my hood and haven't had a rearview mirror for 2 yrs. Im sticking with the 15 so I can hit the lows but if theres anything else out there that you think will sound better, can take the power and is not expensive like a W7 i will consider it. I haven't bought the sub yet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Forget about SQ and let that thing do what it's designed to do..

Put it in a 3.5 cubes - 4 cubic ft enclosure and let it pound.

The CVX will be a decent sub in a correct enclosure - buy why a brand known for its relatively low SQ levels? But whatever, it'll sound good if the box was recommended by Kicker. Sundown would probably be a good brand to go with though - for future reference.

SQ and a CVX aren't synonymous. Lol! And just cause it's a sealed box doesn't mean you're going to get better sound of it. Every Kicker I've ever owned (and that includes the CVX) sound better in ported. Why don't you look at some of the other non name brands that are forum boners right now. Audioque, Sundown, Skar, Obsidian to name a few.... Probably get better SQ out of any of these as opposed to a CVX.

SQ and a CVX aren't synonymous. Lol! And just cause it's a sealed box doesn't mean you're going to get better sound of it. Every Kicker I've ever owned (and that includes the CVX) sound better in ported. Why don't you look at some of the other non name brands that are forum boners right now. Audioque, Sundown, Skar, Obsidian to name a few.... Probably get better SQ out of any of these as opposed to a CVX.
It's said that the L5 and L7's actually do work best in sealed boxes but not a fan of those anyways and their SQ *****. I'd just go ported 3-4ft^3 my friend has 2 CVX 12's running off 2500w daily in a 4.25^ft3 hitting 146's @ 32hz if that gives you any ideas.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a sub that can take the power of the ZX and shake on the lows and still hit all the other notes. I don't know of any 12s that can shake like the L7s. I have 12in type R's new model 600watts rms and they sounded halow when trying to hit the lows.

It's said that the L5 and L7's actually do work best in sealed boxes but not a fan of those anyways and their SQ *****. I'd just go ported 3-4ft^3 my friend has 2 CVX 12's running off 2500w daily in a 4.25^ft3 hitting 146's @ 32hz if that gives you any ideas.
What planet do you live on? The squares in large ported boxes eat their sealed box brothers up.

OP: I really do recommend going much larger than Kicker said even if you decide to do sealed. They build good stuff, but they have no clue what their own subs need as far as box specs. I've had Kicker eq. for close to 10 years now, 4 different setups in 5 different boxes. Go big (preferably ported with plenty of port), and it will get loud but still sound decent doing so. The CVX isn't known for its SQ, but it can definitely sound great getting loud. Keep it out of distortion, give it room to work, and enjoy.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a sub that can take the power of the ZX and shake on the lows and still hit all the other notes. I don't know of any 12s that can shake like the L7s. I have 12in type R's new model 600watts rms and they sounded halow when trying to hit the lows.
That's 100% on the fault of your enclosure. Any sub can nail the lows in the right box.

whats ur max price lol. u could put that on an incriminator audio death penalty and it would sound good. lol but it can take a lot more power. all depends. i like obsidian. skars are good and sundown is also very good. a little more expensive. its all personal preferences.

What planet do you live on? The squares in large ported boxes eat their sealed box brothers up.
OP: I really do recommend going much larger than Kicker said even if you decide to do sealed. They build good stuff, but they have no clue what their own subs need as far as box specs. I've had Kicker eq. for close to 10 years now, 4 different setups in 5 different boxes. Go big (preferably ported with plenty of port), and it will get loud but still sound decent doing so. The CVX isn't known for its SQ, but it can definitely sound great getting loud. Keep it out of distortion, give it room to work, and enjoy.
i dunno man i've heard it from some credible people lately and I dont care much for kicker so its just that I really don't care... I've heard sealed kickers get loud and sound clean which is good considering it's a Kicker... and a Square sub. Also if you know so much why are you recommending boxes nearly twice as big as spec to a lot of people? I mean 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR on 1500wrms...

Not trying to pick a fight here but I would like an explanation as to why the sealed kicker is not as loud as a sealed ported other than 'It's ported of course it's louder.' that's not ALWAYS the case.

The design of the subwoofer and the enclosure requirements half the time warrant a sealed box, you see a ton of people running them sealed and still moving a ton of air. Kicker even STATES that they work really well in sealed enclosures... I'm just saying I need to be proved wrong before you can say "your an idiot move on." :p

i live on a planet with lots of Kicker users apparently and Ive heard this from some credible people soo... also why do you recommend almost twice as big enclosures for almost every setup? Just because Kickers require more CF then most brands doesn't mean they all do, I mean I've seen you recommend 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR...
/e and Wicked he was asking for best sounding Kickers that bump imo a sealed L5/L7 sounds better and hits just as hard as its ported brother I think Kicker is JUNK period so I won't argue I'd recommend a new brand altogether but w/e just saying what I've heard/experienced with kickers which isn't a whole lot.
Sealed kickers do not get loud at all lol. I had two cvr 15s sealed and my skar 10s ported completely murder them, its not even a comparison. Quit making up bs claims, kickers shine in ported boxes, not sealed.

i live on a planet with lots of Kicker users apparently and Ive heard this from some credible people soo... also why do you recommend almost twice as big enclosures for almost every setup? Just because Kickers require more CF then most brands doesn't mean they all do, I mean I've seen you recommend 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR...
/e and Wicked he was asking for best sounding Kickers that bump imo a sealed L5/L7 sounds better and hits just as hard as its ported brother I think Kicker is JUNK period so I won't argue I'd recommend a new brand altogether but w/e just saying what I've heard/experienced with kickers which isn't a whole lot.
The guy wanted to get loud on little power. The way to do that is a big box. I understand that the specs of different speakers don't like to be in as large boxes as Kickers do, but the group of men from which I've gained all my knowledge build larger than company recommended specs on everything they build. Funny enough, they always turn out way louder than a comparable setup built to manufacturer's specs. They usually do it on less power too.

The local audio store here has done thousands of Kicker installs. Sealed does get loud, but every install with ported squares has raped every sealed install that came out of there. I know as far as SQ, some people like sealed and others ported. I think the ported sounds wonderful.

You can think what you want of Kicker, you are in the majority here not liking them. I would put money on a daily setup vs your current brand of speakers any day with mine. I've seen plenty of DC, DD, Atomic, IA setups and have never been as impressed with them in a daily application as I have my 'junk' Kickers. To each their own.

Sealed kickers do not get loud at all lol. I had two cvr 15s sealed and my skar 10s ported completely murder them, its not even a comparison. Quit making up bs claims, kickers shine in ported boxes, not sealed.
He would know much more about being loud with Kickers than I would.

Kicker sub s can get loud, the thing is people dont set them up right. Most people running Kicker go to besy buy and get what the retard floor guy tells them to. They do look and feel cheap. Minus the X.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.