What is the best speaker I can put in this box?

DARBADARBZ

CarAudio.com Newbie
Idaho
What is the best 10 inch speaker I can put in this box? And how much better will it be than what I have right now?

I have this box. It is sealed, with 0.75 cu. ft. of airspace. I have installed in it the Skar SVR-10 D2 (800 RMS). I picked this speaker because the recommended sealed box for the Skar is 0.65 - 0.75 cu. ft.

I know it's small, but it's the best box I can do for my setup.

But do I have better options? And how much better would it sound? By better, I mean louder and more clean bass. Thanks!

Last edited:
But do I have better options? And how much better would it sound? By better, I mean louder and more clean bass. Thanks!
I have not listened to that particular Skar sub, but I have a JL 10w3v3 in a sealed 0.75 cu ft box and it sounds really good. Clean punchy bass that defies the the box size with the output.
Had it in an extended cab on top of the back seat firing up. I was contemplating taking out my current amp a subs combo to put it back in along with a JL XD600/1. Just thinking about it makes me giddy.
BTW, no lack of low bass notes. It goes low.
20230719_185251.jpg

Last edited:
I have not listened to that particular Skar sub, but I have a JL 10w3v3 in a sealed 0.75 cu ft box and it sounds really good. Clean punchy bass that defies the the box size with the output.
Had it in an extended cab on top of the back seat firing up. I was contemplating taking out my current amp a subs combo to put it back in along with a JL XD600/1. Just thinking about it makes me giddy.
BTW, no lack of low bass notes. It goes low.View attachment 52648
This Skar can hit for a little bit, but then it overheats or something and sounds like crap and loses bass. Maybe it was designed for ported so it can have airflow and stay cooler? I'll look into that JL, thanks.

This Skar can hit for a little bit, but then it overheats or something and sounds like crap and loses bass.
This does not sound right. An overheating sub will smell acrid even in a sealed box. Do you know anyone that can lend you a boxed sub for testing purposes? It may be the amp or if the radio is OEM, it may have Auto Volume Level control. That feature lowers bass output to protect factory speakers.

This does not sound right. An overheating sub will smell acrid even in a sealed box. Do you know anyone that can lend you a boxed sub for testing purposes? It may be the amp or if the radio is OEM, it may have Auto Volume Level control. That feature lowers bass output to protect factory speakers.
Oh it does stink too. But 2 shops have told me it's fine and I should just turn it down a little. It's an aftermarket Kenwood

it was done at a shop and then double checked when I asked them later. Skar RP-800.1D amp
That is a perfect combination, no reason you should be having issues. Are you using any bass boost on the radio? The JL is only 500 watts RMS so it may not be a good option. Here is a video that shows you how to set gains easily with a multimeter. Better to be 100% certain.

I'll check with multimeter. But no, I actually turned off the bass boost on the hu, made sure the sub was +0 on the hu and made the eq flat.

I'll check with multimeter. But no, I actually turned off the bass boost on the hu, made sure the sub was +0 on the hu and made the eq flat.
What about bass boost on the amp? A buddy of mine came over and asked why his subs kept blowing even though a “shop” hooked everything up, and when I checked the amp they had his gain AND bass boost all the way to the right. So I don’t put much faith in “shops.” If the gain is set properly and the power is clean then the sub should not be overheating and smelly.

I’m not a big fan of the Skar SVR in a sealed box. It would likely be fine with the punchy bass, but it wont do very well with any bass content under 40 HZ in a sealed box. Also, it’s a 400 watt rms sub, not 800 rms. What type of music do you listen to most?

So another over rated gem from Skar Audio? It looks beefy as well. With this new info, OP should be good to go if he sets the gain to ~500w.
Yeah. The SVR is 400. SDR is 600. DDX is 1000, evl is 1250, VXF is 1500 and the ZVX is also 1500, but way underrated. The ZVX 18 or the subs from the VXF line are the best sub Skar sells for music, imo.

I’m not a big fan of the Skar SVR in a sealed box. It would likely be fine with the punchy bass, but it wont do very well with any bass content under 40 HZ in a sealed box. Also, it’s a 400 watt rms sub, not 800 rms. What type of music do you listen to most?
What makes you say its 400 watts? It says 800.

What makes you say its 400 watts? It says 800.

You’re right. The 8 inch SVR is 400. SVR is between the SDR and the DDX at 800 for all the other sizes. The SVR is a little better in sealed boxes than some of the other skar models,

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...