Best Mid-Full size SUV?

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
Alright so long story short I'm out of a car and im gonna have roughly $4750 to throw around for a new one. I figured I was going to get a late 90's SUV because I can get one for around $2000 with cash to spare for gas, possible repairs and my build.

Parents want me to make a list of the kind of SUV's they should be on the look out for (between the two of them they have only owned 1 SUV which was a Nissan Pathfinder...they are junk for doing systems in and IMO a v6 blows for anything larger than a car).

I asked around and from the looks of it pretty much a Tahoe/Yukon would be my best bet. I guess a smaller 2dr would work like a blazer but I'd just assume have a 4dr.

At this point you're probably wondering what the purpose of this thread is....like I said my parents really haven't owned anything besides a pathfinder which isn't even a "full" size suv. They think I'm acting ignorant because I'm giving them this information, even after I researched it. So, my question is, to prove them as being hypocrites (they said stay away from chevy/gmc because "domestic brands are junk"), is there really anything wrong with either SUV? And is there anything that really beats them in the range of years?

CLIFFS: Looking for a mid-full size SUV in the years 1995-2000, is there anything that beats a Yukon/Tahoe?

they easy to get loud but ok then next on the list is tahoe yukon will eat you up on gas.
I live in the country so what I get for mpg is pretty much highway ratings, and I don't drive much

Your parents don't know their a$$holes from a hamburger when it comes to SUV's.

The full size GM SUV's are the most reliable full sized ones available. I got one outside with 265,000 on it and my last had 200,000 and the one before that 292,000 and never have they left me walking.

Retired mechanic here BTW.

Your parents don't know their a$$holes from a hamburger when it comes to SUV's.
The full size GM SUV's are the most reliable full sized ones available. I got one outside with 265,000 on it and my last had 200,000 and the one before that 292,000 and never have they left me walking.

Retired mechanic here BTW.
How ironic, we had burgers for dinner tonight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The only mid size SUV's in that range of years are all V6's which are a huge PITA, especially on an SUV when you wanna accelerate up fast (I don't drive with a heavy foot but when traffic is heavy on a 45mph road and you gotta slip in there somehow its nearly impossible with a v6 suv).

Their reasoning for me not getting domestic SUV's are because "they are known to have problems". They must be talking about exploders which I clearly said I didn't want. Most of the info I told them was straight from a friend of mine whose a mechanic, and they think it's all BS... sigh

Get a tahoe, Yukon or suburban. 95 to 97 or 93-94 with the 5.7. If you keep your foot out of it they can get 20+ mpg on the hwy. Hell even my 7.4 liter burbans could get 20 sometimes.

Honestly man they are being biased with no actual proof to back up what they say. Anybody who says GM C and K series trucks are junk hasnt a clue about what makes something reliable. I even tow Hondas and nissans home with my GM trucks.

If you go for an Exploder 1995 was the last of the reliable 4.0's. S10 blazers are not as good as the c&k series either.

I will be going from the bagged Jimmy to a Yukon over the winter. Unless the deal I have worked out for the Yukon falls through prior to me getting it.

Blazers and Jeep Grand and regular Cherokees **** for space. I'm pretty sure my 03 has more space than any other SUV of its size. The only one that might be me is the pathfinder.

what about a jeep.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

nvm just read the other posts.

Blazers and Jeep Grand and regular Cherokees **** for space. I'm pretty sure my 03 has more space than any other SUV of its size. The only one that might be me is the pathfinder.
I don't like the look of Explorers myself, newer or older..just not my thing. My Jimmy has a face lift and some other goodies..currently building a new wall behind the rear seat for 4 15s. Plenty of room //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.