Battery question

Participant count
  • Participants list

Alex Leslie

CarAudio.com Recruit
So I’m wondering if I can run lead acid with lithium. I have a lead acid stock battery under my hood to power my basics and I was gonna get a 15 ah limitless lithium and run that in the back for my subs, I’m gonna have the big 3, 2 sundown sa V2 15”, a skarr 3500 watt amp either the rp or skv2. 1/0 gauge ran everywhere, and probably a 240 amp alt replacement....I don’t won’t to run into a problem running them tog and get any major volt drop, and feedback is great thanks!

What's the C rating on the lithium battery? Which lithium technology are the cells? What do they claim 15AH will do for you? Do they have any discharge curve or cycle life data?

It says it can do Up to 3,000w at 12v with 100a of available charging and I can’t find much on the rest. Is there any specific battery you would recommend an idea of what route I should take with batteries on this setup

It says it can do Up to 3,000w at 12v with 100a of available charging and I can’t find much on the rest. Is there any specific battery you would recommend an idea of what route I should take with batteries on this setup
IF you plan to use only 15AH you are looking at 20C discharge and 16C charge (assuming you get a 250A alternator). I might attempt that current in and out with genuine Toshiba SCiB cells. I could never get a straight answer out of any of those car audio branded battery companies on their tailor made battery banks.

I would look into YingLong or LiShen Lithium Titanate batteries. I'm pretty sure some online sellers sell YingLong 40AH cells + nicely machined bus bar kits. 40AH bank would be pushing it with YingLong, might be a little better with Lishen (I'm trying to get some myself whenever my guy in China gets more to test them). I'd do 80AH to be safe for 3000-4000W amp. LTO batteries are meant to last 25,000 cycles at recommended C rating. Cycle life roughly halves as you double current draw. In layman's terms, the smaller the bank you use to try to draw 300A the more quickly it will fail.

I would not recommend any of those off-the-shelf batterys from the battery brands until I knew which cells they used and could see the real specs from manufacturer.

IF you plan to use only 15AH you are looking at 20C discharge and 16C charge (assuming you get a 250A alternator). I might attempt that current in and out with genuine Toshiba SCiB cells. I could never get a straight answer out of any of those car audio branded battery companies on their tailor made battery banks.

I would look into YingLong or LiShen Lithium Titanate batteries. I'm pretty sure some online sellers sell YingLong 40AH cells + nicely machined bus bar kits. 40AH bank would be pushing it with YingLong, might be a little better with Lishen (I'm trying to get some myself whenever my guy in China gets more to test them). I'd do 80AH to be safe for 3000-4000W amp. LTO batteries are meant to last 25,000 cycles at recommended C rating. Cycle life roughly halves as you double current draw. In layman's terms, the smaller the bank you use to try to draw 300A the more quickly it will fail.

I would not recommend any of those off-the-shelf batterys from the battery brands until I knew which cells they used and could see the real specs from manufacturer.

Thanks this helps me to understand it a lot better been trying to find stuff to learn about batteries I just wanna get the most healthiest option for my system

Thanks this helps me to understand it a lot better been trying to find stuff to learn about batteries I just wanna get the most healthiest option for my system
40AH of the common Lithium Titanate cells should just squeek by, 80AH should hold very solid voltage and last twice as long. Keep in mind you could safely expect to get 10-12 years or more out of the cells if you don't push them to their absolute limits.

I had to do a lot of research and digging to figure all of this out since those """" car audio battery brands"""" do not give out straight answers.

40AH of the common Lithium Titanate cells should just squeek by, 80AH should hold very solid voltage and last twice as long. Keep in mind you could safely expect to get 10-12 years or more out of the cells if you don't push them to their absolute limits.

I had to do a lot of research and digging to figure all of this out since those """" car audio battery brands"""" do not give out straight answers.

Yea thanks a lot for that, I did a lot of research on battery cells and building battery banks so now that I have an understanding of that I know you shouldn’t mix agm with the yinlong cells but what ab lead acid cause I have a stock lead acid battery under my hood, and with replacing my alternator is it gonna be okay to keep my stock battery and run a line to my battery bank I’ll build or is that gonna bring down my lithium cells? cause if that’s a problem should I just throw a distribution block where my stock battery is and run the whole car off of lithium? Cause I’d rather keep my stock battery just in case of emergencies I always have some power just to start my car.

Yea thanks a lot for that, I did a lot of research on battery cells and building battery banks so now that I have an understanding of that I know you shouldn’t mix agm with the yinlong cells but what ab lead acid cause I have a stock lead acid battery under my hood, and with replacing my alternator is it gonna be okay to keep my stock battery and run a line to my battery bank I’ll build or is that gonna bring down my lithium cells? cause if that’s a problem should I just throw a distribution block where my stock battery is and run the whole car off of lithium? Cause I’d rather keep my stock battery just in case of emergencies I always have some power just to start my car.
I would not mix and match since neither tech will probably want to rest at different spots and you will not notice when your AGM completely fails and it will be come more and more parasitic on the whole system. For me and my brother's builds we deleted under the hood and just used wooden blocks where the battery would mount and secured distro blocks to those.

If you drained them somehow they take a jump fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...