battery question

Participant count
  • Participant list

SuckMikeHawk23
10+ year member

#1 Laker Hater
ok, i found a great deal on optima red top batteries ($50 bucks). anyways, i was just wondering if i should run this battery to my amps, or should i take my stock battery out, replace it with my optima and run the stock battery for my system. i have a major light dimming problem. would either of these solutions work? if not, what can i do? will only the yellow top work? give me some suggestions. i really want the red top tho cuz its pretty much a steal at that price. thanks to those who reply

$50? i just found one today, 1 yr old, for $80. the guy selling it says that it ain't that great for car audio. he runs the stereo one store in cape and has got a pretty stereo intensive ride. anyway, his reason for getting rid of it is that it doesn't have enuff reserve capacity. he is the first person i have EVER heard say they didn't like an optima battery!!

i don't know if it will completely fix your dimming problem,now your altenator will have to charge two battery's. i think i would keep the factory battery as the start battery and use the optima has the stereo battery. it does have a higher reserve than a stock battery!

hey, thanks for the reply, but yea, i found 8 of them for $50 each! the guy i'm getting it from was planning on putting a full system in his suburban, but ended up selling his car so he has no use for it. so what should i do now with my alternator? do i need to get a new one? what would happen if i get a cap? cuz i can get a fosgate cap for around $50 too cuz this guy i know works at best buy and gets everything for 50% off. if ur in southern california and want one of these batteries, let me know, i dont think the batteries are going anywhere anytime soon. thanks for help again.

First of all how many total watts are you running? What is your alternator reated at. (amp output) If your under 1000 get a 1 farad cap and over get two. I run about 1800 watts in a montero sport with two caps and get no dimming with stock battery and alternator, but my alternator is rated at 85 amps. Hope that helps. Peace

yea u could cap it. it should help. if you do, use the optima with cap and factory altenator. save the stock battery for if it don't work. i think it will if your around 1000 watts or so.

here's a test, get your dmm and with the car on , several accesories on(heater,lights,etc) check your voltage at the amp. if it flux's alot, a cap will help, a new altenator would be better.of course, the cap is cheaper, give it a shot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

SuckMikeHawk23

10+ year member
#1 Laker Hater
SuckMikeHawk23
626 California
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date