Battery Question.

Sorry, my quote was wrong. The correct ans is; series connection = 12 volts and parallel connection = double the voltage.
Sorry for the wrong info.

check out this site: http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_battery_wiring.html

Thanks for correcting me.
thats funny cuse u were the fist one to post

"hope this helps. If not check this out: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198742 "

and in that page it clearly states

"

Battery Wiring

When two 6V, 100Ah batteries are wired in Series, the voltage is doubled but the amp-hour capacity remains 100Ah (Total Power = 1200 Watt-hours).

You may decide to wire batteries in series because a single 12V battery with the right storage capacity is simply too heavy, unwieldy, or awkward to lift into place. Batteries consisting of fewer cells (and hence lower voltage) in series can provide the same storage capacity yet be portable. It is not unusual to see solar power installations where the battery bank consists of a sea of 2V batteries that have been wired in series

series.jpg

Two 6V, 100Ah batteries wired in Parallel will have a total storage capacity of 200Ah at 6V (or 1200 Watt-hours).

Battery banks consisting of 12V batteries wired in parallel are often seen on OEM installations in boats and RVs alike. Such banks are simple to wire up and require a minimum of cabling. However, the wiring must have the capacity to deal with a full battery bank.

You should fuse each battery individually in such a bank to ensure that a battery gone bad will not affect the rest of the bank.

parallel.jpg

"

Would it be better to ground the 2nd battery as well or is that not needed?
lol i only do what is nessary some connect grounds between batteries others just ground to the frame. some will say do both me i say whatever works.....

i'm taking out my stock 1000 cca exide this weekend and putting in my yellow tops. can i get those charged up at advance auto or someplace?

in the instructions with my iraggi alternator, it specifically said to ground to the frame, and do the same in the rear with my amps, but i didnt really want to drill any holes in my truck and run wire to the outside, even through a grommet. why is the frame so much better as a grounding point than the body, i would think it would be the same as long as you sand down to shiny metal.

It is more than a good idea, it is a neccesity. Always put a fuse on any connection near the source of the current so in the event of a short to ground you blow the fuse instead of ignite your car. This goes for all the smaller things you wire up as well, like fans or lights, event the remote output on your head unit if it has the potential to ever short or see too much current draw (to protect the unit more than prevent a fire).

When in doubt fuse it, and make sure to read up on your wiring and your amps/accessories to make sure that you don't overfuse (use too high of an amp rating). If your amps do not have internal fuses (like my Zeds), you need to follow the manufacturers specification when selecting the fuse for that amps power cable.

OK, thats what i thought. I was plannig on it, but in the kinetik manual it doesnt show another fuse between the 2nd battery and the amp. Just wanted to clarify, thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.