Battery, Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

AmpHelp

So, I have the chance to get an Optima Red Top 34R for $75. The problem is it would not fit in my front hood. I would have to wire it in series or parallel or whatever with the stock battery that I currently have. Which would ruin the life for both of them. However, it's a fantastic deal!

My alternative would to be get a kinetic battery with not as much power for a similar price. However, this battery would actually fit in my hood.

Which would be the better option, people?

first, don't wire the batteries in series - that will fry the car's electronics.

in parallel, the stronger battery will be pulled down by the weaker one. if both float around the same voltage, paralleling them can be ok if they are the same type (both AGM).

is it a height issue with the front location? you can get a marine battery box and probably gain some room by removing the stock battery mounts and tray.

No, I have a group 75 battery. Very small, in width. Height wouldn't be much of a problem. Also, the battery is a bit older, so I would assume the voltage is quite lower than what the red top would be producing.

i would advise against putting a kinetik under the hood for normal starting applications as they are intended to be installed within 6' of the amps in the install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.