Tell me what you think about fixing humming noise through my system

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have an Audiocontrol LCQ-1, Audiocontrol Epicenter Plus, JL XD600/6, and Memphis mcd16-500 amp. When I pulled out my multimeter to test my grounds I was shocked to see that the resistance was reading upwards of 8.4 Ohms. I'm thinking in order to reach a good solid factory ground, I will have to extend my ground cables for my amps to 5ft each. Is this going to be ok?

You want to keep grounds as short as possible. Have you done the Big 3? Is your alternator case grounded to the same spot as your battery? Have you used the proper size wire for grounding? Check these before making changes

No, don't do that. Some really smart guys have already proven that using even a unibody for return path has less voltage drop than single wire to battery. Check this out.

Ground to the Chassis or Use Cable - Which Works …:

I have the alternator grounded. Big 3 isn't the issue. I'm dealing with humming (not alternator whine) and am wanting to know if running the amp grounds to better locations will be favorable even though the negative runs will be about 3ft

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried removing RCAs to see if you can isolate the humming to a specific channel or specific device? Did the humming just start recently? Any changes to wiring recently? I'm not sure lengthening your grounds will help but you should certainly try a new ground location if only to eliminate that as a source.

So I took the signal wires leading into the LCQ-1 and ran them to a simple line-out converter and no hum or popping whatsoever. So now I'm returning the LCQ-1 and going to try the Audison Bit Ten next.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.