battery bank and alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

tundra1221
10+ year member

i am looking at putting 4 group 31 batteries in the back of my truck.....i already have my stock battery, a shuriken 80ah, and the big 3 under the hood. i am going to be powering a 3k amp and a 500rms 4 channel amp. i have 2 questions-1-is a battery bank of 4 group 31's going to be enough to power the amps?

-2-is my stock alt going to b able to withstand charging all of these batteries with out being damaged? this is my daily driver so i cant be having alt problems

In an electrical sense, it is not advisable to parallel so many batteries to the alt that was designed to power just one small one. However, Kinetik claims that their batteries are "engineered" to be able to help the alternator more than hurt it with multiple batteries. It is worth looking into I suppose. Also if the alt could withstand 4 batteries I would think it will be fine for 3k, but I honestly think you would be MUCH better off giving someone like DC Power a call and have them set you up with an HO Alt that is made for your vehicle.

Well I am running 2 2500s strapped at 1 and a 100.4 on the mids/highs off group 34 up front and 1 group 31 in rear. That being said, I have an underrated 300 amp alt, and the batteries are Odyssey and XS respectively. I have virtually no voltage drop above 2000 RPM, and ~.2-.6 drop at idle. In my opinion, you would be better off running 1-2 3100s(depending on what you get) and buying an alt.

Well I am running 2 2500s strapped at 1 and a 100.4 on the mids/highs off group 34 up front and 1 group 31 in rear. That being said, I have an underrated 300 amp alt, and the batteries are Odyssey and XS respectively. I have virtually no voltage drop above 2000 RPM, and ~.2-.6 drop at idle. In my opinion, you would be better off running 1-2 3100s(depending on what you get) and buying an alt.
^^^do this^^^

Here's an alternate setup :

I have 6 group 31 Deka "blems" - meaning they're factory blemished cases and nothing wrong with them besides that. And I have one Optima yellow top up front (couldn't get another 31 deka to fit so I grabbed this on the cheap from a friend)....I have a stock 90 amp alternator. My setup is one Creshendo 5500 for the subs. I can easily do 153's...only issue with me is that I have to charge it at 55 amps for 4 hours once a week. I just plug it in when I get go to bed.

If you are interested going the route I did, just contact your local battery dealer for the blems.

Yeah, if you just have your stock alt you'll have to charge your batteries all the time because it won't be able to keep up the power...

u guys rnt ginna like this but I'm planning on going the cheap way and buying regular group 31's $45 a peice and that's why I Wana get 4 of them.....but I plan on running only my stock battery and then the bank in the back

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tundra1221

10+ year member
tundra1221
spokane, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from