batteries and alternators???

jeremythelen
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
typically, if your gonna be running only one amp ( jbl 1200.1), is a stock battery and alternator enough to power it? cuz i dont really need to have dimmed headlights etc. like ive heard of before. cuz i wanna run a 1200.1 with 2 type r 15s or 12s but if its gonna mess with my entire electircaly system then ill just go smaller. so whats the maximum wattage you think a person could run with a stock battery and alternator?

i think the general rule of thumb is 5 watts per amp on your alternator

um...

unless you have a small car like me your probably ok

if you have a truck most likely you have a 100amp or better alt.

i usually suggest getting an altenator first. if your really going to add just 1 amp...

probably just a compassitor .5 or 1.0 farad.

i dont like suggesting those cause of the misconseption out there that they are the fix all end all to car audio.

but for your situation to keep it cheap go with a quality compassitor

better to go with a Fosgate .5 than a jensen or some crap 1.0.

things like that always go for quality otherwise you get what ya pay for heh

expect 130 bucks or so for compas.

200 for a battery

500 for a HD alt. or 200 or so to beef your current one up(HARD to FIND someone)

just prices in my area South East

EEEH u can find slightly used caps cheap. I am gonan get a 1.0 farad lightning audio cap for 20 bucks xtra cause i am buying 2 12" and a tri sub box for 100. Cost total 120 and getting quite a bit for my funds.

J

ok, i really dont wanna mess around with me battery or alternator or anything at all, thanks for the suggestions though. but what would be a good size amp to use then with out makeing any modifications to my alternator or a new battery? i think my friend runs a 1200 watt autotek with out modifing his alt but im not sure. but ill just go smaller so i dont have to modify anything. so if you could tell me a goo size amp itd be appreciated.

the problem may be that your alt. is worn If you have an older model than and the alt. is stock, theres our prob. You woulb be safe running a 600-750 watt amp at the MOST. your battery could die and that'll cost ya. let me know what you do. Matt.

Originally posted by jeremythelen ok, i really dont wanna mess around with me battery or alternator or anything at all, thanks for the suggestions though. but what would be a good size amp to use then with out makeing any modifications to my alternator or a new battery? i think my friend runs a 1200 watt autotek with out modifing his alt but im not sure. but ill just go smaller so i dont have to modify anything. so if you could tell me a goo size amp itd be appreciated.
all you need is --------- 2F low ESR cap and heavy gauge wire and your ready------ no need for alt and battery change

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.