Do modern head units have internal backup batteries?

Participant count
  • Participant list

stereoduck

CarAudio.com Newbie
WA-USA
I just purchased a Kenwood DPX594BT to replace the factory head unit in a car. It's been over a decade since I did my last head unit install and I am wondering if head units these days have a built-in lithium coin battery or whatever in them in order to maintain various settings and the station memory when a vehicle's battery is disconnected. It seems logical to me that modern head units would have this feature but I've done a bunch of Googling and searched the head unit's owner manual but can't find an answer to this question.

Last edited:
Doubt it.unit should have a memory setting to set your settings when the batt is disconnected and to be able to recall those settings instead of having to redo it all like my ddx396.I would look into the manual to see if yours has that memory recall option.

Last edited:
Flash memory makes sense. When I do the install I'll set a few things and stations and then disconnect/reconnect the unswitched power to see what happens.

One thing I came across in my Googling was to keep 12V going by hooking the battery leads up to a charger/tender while replacing a vehicle battery.

You can also get a memory saver cable in auto parts stores for $10 or $15. It uses a 9v battery and plugs into the cigarette lighter port in the car. It’s enough power to keep the stereo and ecm memory alive during battery changes.

You can also get a memory saver cable in auto parts stores for $10 or $15. It uses a 9v battery and plugs into the cigarette lighter port in the car. It’s enough power to keep the stereo and ecm memory alive during battery changes.
Man. Thats one of the Best Thread replies Ive ever encountered on this Forum. Thats Badazz. I may have try that. I have used a small Alarm Panel battery and a battery from my riding mower before.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...