Basic budget - Incriminator - Ampere - JL - Crescendo - SD Audio -

powerlifter405

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hey guys,

I have a very basic budget build I'm fiddling with and aside from the brand name JBL or Infinity I've had in the past I'm looking to see what else is out there. I have NO access/ability to hear demos.

Vehicle is a 2020 F150 SCREW XLT w the basic Ford 8" HU / 7 speaker system.
No amplification for now but I will add an amp in the near future, possibly a Kicker Key200.4 w/ the dsp just to keep is simple. A sub might be added in the future but only if I can make something fit behind the rear seat.

Keep in mind, it gets driven 2-3x per month. It is literally a grocery getter/errand running vehicle, taking a load of branches to the dump etc.. I'm still on the same tank of fuel from January.

I'm trying to keep the speakers under $400 for all the drivers. Someone suggested NVX and I have a neighbor who likes his as his budget option.
I have access to some Morel Maximo Ultra 602 front comps and rear coax for around $450 or so but I'm looking for other options. My hearing sux but so I want some clarity w/o fatigue, I'd like some bass/kick drum etc for most of my musical taste. I rarely listen to EDM or rap, primarily something like Slayer or Waylon Jennings.

- JL C1 at Sonix plus I have a one time use 15% off coupon. They have JL Audio C2650 on sale open box but w/ the coupon it would be a better savings.

-Crescendo Audio Symphony 6.5" Components for $140
- need rear 6.5 or 6x9 to accompany

-Ampere Audio AA-6.5C 6.5" Component Set for $179
-Rear AA-BI9 TL 6x9 Co-Axials $152

-Sound Solutions Package Deal** | 1 Set of EVIL1 Tweeters & EVIL6.5 Mids for $215
-- need rear 6.5 or 6x9 to accompany

-NVX NVX VSP65 V-Series 6-1/2" 2-Way Component $119
-NVX VSP69 6" X 9" V-Series Coaxial Car Audio Speakers $119

-SD audio yardsale Sundown SA-6.5 CS v.3 $224
-Sundown SA-69 CX v.2 $149

Anyone with experience using these drivers, I'm curious to see what you have to say on the matter.

TIA

Thanks, I hadn't considered polk. There home audio entry is meh IMHO and for the same price folks can usually get ID options that are clearer and have more over all SQ. Again, only thinking from my HT experience so maybe their car audio is on a better plane.

I have amazon so I may have to consider these. W/ the prime, if they aren't too my liking I can always return them.
I haven't thought much of Polk since the early 90s when they outsourced their manufacturing but the name does pop up around here as a decent budget option. Personally I've always had great luck with the JBL/Infinity lineup and run JBL components in a couple vehicles here currently.

I would avoid entry level JL or other premium brands. I'd avoid entry level in general but particularly out of the premium brands.

There's likely a few good "shallow mount" subwoofer options and it shouldn't take much to pressurize a pickup truck cabin if you want to add something like that later. For me I wouldn't look at this is only driving in a few times a month, I'd look at it as a vehicle you're likely to own for a decade or more which would make more incentive for me to do a nice soundsystem that would last for the service life of the truck. My 250 is pretty much only for plowing and some hauling occasionally and I did a decent soundsystem in it... if rust weren't going to make it a yard truck only in a few years I'd probably be walling it (I may do so anyway).

I have not heard everything on your list, but I have experience with a several of them. My choice for your setup would probably be the SSA Evils up front with the NVX in the rear.
I agree with the other post that you should probably steer clear of the entry level speakers from most brands.

I want to say everything I listed should be at least mid level and the consumer reviews from SSA and D4S website were all pretty good.

I have used kappa and upper level jbl in the past with good luck but at $300+ for a single set now is getting pricy.

However I did stumble across some Infinity kappa factory refurb and open box for about half off, 140 for 6x9 comps and 80 bucks for coax.

I want to say everything I listed should be at least mid level and the consumer reviews from SSA and D4S website were all pretty good.

I have used kappa and upper level jbl in the past with good luck but at $300+ for a single set now is getting pricy.

However I did stumble across some Infinity kappa factory refurb and open box for about half off, 140 for 6x9 comps and 80 bucks for coax.
Do you have a link to the 6x9 comps? Thanks.

I have heard nothing but great things from SSA. I will also ad that mids on an amp get much louder and clearer than if just on a head unit.
If I went SSA for my fronts as a comp set up what would pair well for the rears? It has 6x9 so either a 6.5 or 6x9 will work but it needs to be a coax.

Do you have a link to the 6x9 comps? Thanks.
I can't find the 6x9 link but heres the 6.5 link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HNC3PCZ/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I've been purchasing open box and 'refurb' from harmon outlet since about 2001 with good luck. I suspect these are amazon open box as I'd suspect amazons 'refurb" wouldn't pass muster w/ Harmon International. Worst case scenario, send them back for a full refund or HI may even do a factory replacement.

Thanks, I hadn't considered polk. There home audio entry is meh IMHO and for the same price folks can usually get ID options that are clearer and have more over all SQ. Again, only thinking from my HT experience so maybe their car audio is on a better plane.

I have amazon so I may have to consider these. W/ the prime, if they aren't too my liking I can always return them.
I really like Polk Audio car audio speakers. They do very well for drop inns/ speaker replacements on HU power/and amp power for theyre DB series, and the MM series sound really fantastic with power. Infinity Kappas would be my next choice , then CDT, thats me though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...