Back-Up / Rear-view cameras, anybody familiar with them?

Participant count
  • Participant list

01 S 10
10+ year member

LOUD
Since I've had the wall in, its a real pain in the ass to back up. I have small sporty side view mirrors and i cant see **** out of them. Im looking to get a back-up camera and connect it to a monitor or something similar

I came across this on Ebay and thought it would be a good idea, dont know how good the quality is though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110304797856&Category=48605null&_trksid=p3907.m29

Does anyone have any experience with these cameras? anything i should look for?

I will be mounting the camera on the top back of my cab (where the third brake lights are on trucks) instead of the bumper, that way i can get a better view

gonna have to accept it
lol
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I'll just make somebody ride in the bed of my truck, they can tell me how far i can back up and **** lol

I've done a number of these. That ad doesn't even list the brand name.... I wouldn't touch it. Audiovox makes both wireless and wired ones that are decent. Those strap-on mirror attachments dont make for the most impressive/clean install but they work ok. What you should look for is somethign decent quality, as screens and cameras in the cheap ones tend to go bad really easy. Audiovox ones have a microphone in the camera as well, so you get audio feed.

Install isn't horribly hard, takes about an hour. Obviously wired ones take longer because you have to run the wire. Some vehicles its a pain to find the reverse wire. Sometimes its up front, but without resources like direct techs its really much easier to find by the taillights. Sometimes I just run an 18 AWG wire to the back loomed with the cam wire and tap into the reverse wire by the taillights.

You'll want to have and know how to use a DMM when installing one. To test for the reverse wire, it should have no voltage, then when you shift into reverse, it has voltage.

If you need more thorough help with install or anything just shoot me a PM.

Other than that just make sure your getting a decent brand

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.