Rear View Mirror Fell Off

Go to an auto parts store. They have a glue that is made just for attaching rear view mirrors to the windshield. Most glues will not stick to glass over the long term.

Gorilla glue didn’t work. Fell off after barely turning up the bass. Going to try the rear view mirror adhesive that autozone sells. Maybe that will work.

Yeah I would only use the stuff made for it and follow the instructions for best results, and these days, the company of said product probably has a video on the process. You want extremely clean glass as well, no residue or fingers oils or anything on it. Of course give it a few extra days to dry before turning the bass on.

Most auto glass companies around here will glue a rear-view mirror back on free of charge. I've never had any DIY solution hold up very long.

That said, if a glass company fix doesn't hold I wouldn't bother trying to do it again. After a certain point you just won't be able to keep them up and several failed attempts may end up damaging the glass.

Most auto glass companies around here will glue a rear-view mirror back on free of charge. I've never had any DIY solution hold up very long.

That said, if a glass company fix doesn't hold I wouldn't bother trying to do it again. After a certain point you just won't be able to keep them up and several failed attempts may end up damaging the glass.
Well unfortunately I’m forced to have a rear view mirror by law in Ohio or else I would leave it off honestly. So it has to go up.

Gorilla glue didn’t work. Fell off after barely turning up the bass. Going to try the rear view mirror adhesive that autozone sells. Maybe that will work.
Very important to use just one drop. After 4 failed attempts I strictly followed directions and has worked for 7 months now.

Last edited:
Very important to use just one drop. After 4 failed attempts I strictly followed directions and has worked for 7 months now.
Are you talking about gorilla glue? I just purchased a second kind of gorilla glue that @audiobaun posted above and will try that out if the rear view mirror kind from autozone doesn’t work. I also scheduled an appointment with Subaru but the earliest I can get in is Tuesday. I want something permanent so it never comes off again no matter how hard I bump lol

Are you talking about gorilla glue? I just purchased a second kind of gorilla glue that @audiobaun posted above and will try that out if the rear view mirror kind from autozone doesn’t work. I also scheduled an appointment with Subaru but the earliest I can get in is Tuesday. I want something permanent so it never comes off again no matter how hard I bump lol
No, I mean the mirror kit by Permatex at Autozone. First two tries I did not completely scape off the old residue (feared scraping off black OEM patch). Third try I scraped the glass but not the button. Fourth I scraped and sanded both but deduced "more glue more gooder results". That lasted 2 days. Finally I scraped, sanded, activator, and ONE drop only (hardest part). Let it sit 2 days, then set the mirror.

Earlier today my rear view mirror fell off. I was wondering what I could use to keep it from falling again. I used loctite super glue and it fell down a couple hours later. Any recommendations on what else I could do?
if you do what i did with my wall and set up a camera facing backwards wired up to a switched ignition and dedicate a small screen to it then its like you have a mirror but just digital. has not let me down yet!

if you do what i did with my wall and set up a camera facing backwards wired up to a switched ignition and dedicate a small screen to it then its like you have a mirror but just digital. has not let me down yet!
what if i turned on my back up camera permanently would that work? Use my headunit to show video. My mirror fell today and actually took a chunk of glass off my windshield... oops

Well unfortunately I’m forced to have a rear view mirror by law in Ohio or else I would leave it off honestly. So it has to go up.
I haven't had a rear view in one of my cars for at least a decade now and never had any issues, it's been in the trunk since it fell off. I didn't look up the specific laws on it, and obviously if you know for sure and want to remain legal, then of course you'd need it installed, but just noting I have yet to have an issue.

edit: I forgot my other car broke the mirror mount and I had it off for quite a while until I eventually repaired it. I prefer a rear view, but again never got pulled over for that, nor even questioned about it when I did. I just assumed it didn't matter since I had my side mirrors still good.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...