Audio Upgrade for Telluride EX: FR Speakers, Sub, Maybe DSP/Amp combo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

rooty-j

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dallas
Thanks for any comments here. I want my audio to sound better, good enough, but not an overly expensive build. For example, in my last a ride, a Ford Expedition, I used the factory head unit to power a pair of $300 Focal component speakers up front. The Focals were high sensitivity speakers. I also added a LoC/Amp/Sub in the back. All of that was totally good enough. I love quality sound, I just use my 2-channel home setup for reference-grade listening.

For my 2023 Telluride EX, here's my rough plan. First, I'll install front speakers, either Infinity Reference REF-6530cx or Focal ISU 165. If they sound good, then I won't need a DSP amp. I'll then add a powered sub using a line output converter, like a LC7i. If those front speakers sound bad without added power, I'll add a 5-channel DSP amp, like a AudioControl D-6.1200 or JL Audio VX700/5i, with a passive sub. Dropping in front speakers is so easy that this is a simple experiment to take in phases.

It seems that a DSP-amp combo offers the cleanest install and often savings compared to a separate DSP and amp. Do you all have any other suggestions here if I go that route?

Many thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 28
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for any comments here. I want my audio to sound better, good enough, but not an overly expensive build. For example, in my last a ride, a Ford Expedition, I used the factory head unit to power a pair of $300 Focal component speakers up front. The Focals were high sensitivity speakers. I also added a LoC/Amp/Sub in the back. All of that was totally good enough. I love quality sound, I just use my 2-channel home setup for reference-grade listening.

For my 2023 Telluride EX, here's my rough plan. First, I'll install front speakers, either Infinity Reference REF-6530cx or Focal ISU 165. If they sound good, then I won't need a DSP amp. I'll then add a powered sub using a line output converter, like a LC7i. If those front speakers sound bad without added power, I'll add a 5-channel DSP amp, like a AudioControl D-6.1200 or JL Audio VX700/5i, with a passive sub. Dropping in front speakers is so easy that this is a simple experiment to take in phases.

It seems that a DSP-amp combo offers the cleanest install and often savings compared to a separate DSP and amp. Do you all have any other suggestions here if I go that route?

Many thanks for any comments.
for the DSP get a DSR1 rockford, thats what i am running. I have Focals K2's all the way around and a Focal 4ch amp, 1000 watt rockford amp, 2-12 p3's on my 2023 Xline Telly.

Yes. Works great with the DSR1 Rockford.
Im running it all in my 2023 SX Xline Telluride. I had a diffrent setup in my old 2020 telluride S model.
View attachment 48376
Awesome! I saw in anther forum, both speaker pairs (Front and Rear) can be tapped in the passenger's kickpanel to feed the DSP. It sounds like running fresh speaker wire is a PITA through the doors. I wonder if the DSP could tuck near the panel and an amp under the seat? Berryboy, where's your DSR1 mounted? Are you just running speaker wire back up from your rear-mounted amps to the kickpanel for existing OEM speaker wire?

Attachments

• kick.jpg
    kick.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
  • diagram1.png
    diagram1.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 32
Awesome! I saw in anther forum, both speaker pairs (Front and Rear) can be tapped in the passenger's kickpanel to feed the DSP. It sounds like running fresh speaker wire is a PITA through the doors. I wonder if the DSP could tuck near the panel and an amp under the seat? Berryboy, where's your DSR1 mounted? Are you just running speaker wire back up from your rear-mounted amps to the kickpanel for existing OEM speaker wire?
@rooty-j someone on the Kia forum made a breakout harness thats all color coated and labeled ....All my speaker wire is running directly from the focals. I wanted to use all copper wiring. see below:
1681333873855.png

1681333890991.png

This made it so I didnt have to tap into the main harness. makes it super easy. You can see how I had both my old and new set up below.

Old Setup: 2020 Telly S model
Didnt get to show you the dsp in this pic but I tapped it in the wires you see coming out the right side from the back seats and it was sitting on the side panel.
1681334030616.png

New Setup 2023 Xline Telly:
1681334461054.png

1681334683691.png

1681334723811.png
1681334706753.png

just much cleaner with the harness. I say pick one up from the guy like I did. You could just tap the DSR1 right under your seat if you needed.

Check out this thread here: https://tellurideforum.org/threads/h-k-amp-speaker-breakout-harness.13891/

Last edited:
Upgraded speakers in my 2023 EX X-line with the 4 speaker stereo, but it definitely needs an amp. The volume of this system is terribly low. My question is how to integrate the amp into the system. Are there no harnesses available for such a popular vehicle? I can find none anywhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...