First audio upgrade: Head Unit vs ???

So your plan of an SSD HDD with FLAC files is alive and well, right?
Yep! Hi-res files on tap. Library of 100s of albums (how much can one fit on a 2Tb SSD drive?). Instant loading, easy connection and available scrolling. Takes up hardly any space. What's not to like? Beats CD all the way.

One slight change to the Focal ICU130 5 1/4" speaker kit. Placed the first born on eBay.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Okay, I am getting ready to be certified. Here is another possible upgrade ...

I watched this video:

It involves installing a Alpine ilx-702d in a Porsche 911 996. The 702d is the forerunner of the 507a, which I am getting. The 996 is essentially the same car as my 986 (actually, it is identical in the areas of relevance).

The issue is that the 702d cannot connect to the factory amp (which is also in my car) as it has 4 outlets (and there are 6 speakers). The solution here is to install 2 x Alpine KTP-445U power packs (each has 4 outlets). Link to these units here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html

Clearly there will be a lot more power on tap. My understanding of more power is greater headroom and lowered distortion. This is with my hifi hat on. The question is whether this is a necessary upgrade, that is, whether this car system will actually benefit from an extra 45 wpc (or RMS x 4). The ilx-507a is rated at 16 watts rms. The video indicates that the extra power+702a transformed the factory speakers. But I wonder whether the result would have been the same without the extra amps? Also, the 507a is a new amp.

Does it have outputs for 3 sets of speakers, or does it actually need the extra amplifiers to drive all 6 of the speakers?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Well you can't have her! :giggle::giggle: I read her the message and she is now demanding a new pair of shoes for each audio component. Thanks very much! :)

Thanks for the link to the YouTube channel. I will check it out.

I have had one other idea, and am sure that it must be something others here are familiar with. One of the reasons I have picked the Alpine ilx-507A is that it has Tidal (and I have a subscription to the high rez items). But I note that it also can connect high res files via USB. What I would like to do is have a small SSD tucked away, along with a cable for the USB (so it can be removed and replaced). I don't want cables dangling (hence my preference for wireless and the ilx-507A over the ilx-407A, which is not wireless). So, has anyone done this? Old hat? Is there a USB port that can be recommended for the purpose (to be fitted inside a small case below the air con).

The small case is behind the gear shift ...

Boxster-audio4.jpg

Boxster-audio3.jpg

This is how it should look after installation (above is my car, but below is off the 'Net) ...

Boxster-audio2.jpg

For those interested, my old but nurtured 2001 Boxster S ...

Boxster2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
Damn. Your wife deserves $10 for every $1 you spend on your stereo.

Okay, no reply. I understand that there are only likely to be a few with knowledge of the ILX-507A. This question may be easier to answer ...

Will increasing the rms (by adding extra power amplifiers) improve the sound quality?

The Alpine ILX-507 has ...
  • built-in internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)

The video I linked to earlier recommended using 2 x Alpine KTP-445U power packs (note: 2 power packs because the Alpine ILX-702 used had 2 outlets and the car had 3 sets of speakers).
  • 45 watts RMS x 4 at 4 or 2 ohms
Is it worth the expense of including 1 or 2 x Alpine KTP-445U power packs?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just to complete this thread.

Installed: Alpine ilx-507a 7" head unit, Alpine KTA-450 amplifier, Focal ICU-130 speakers in the doors, Focal ICU 100 speakers in the dash, and retained the Bose speakers in the rear tray. There is also a 1 Tb SSD (in the tray) feeding the HU with up to 192kHz/24Bit FLAC files. With Apple Play there is also Tidal streaming.

What an upgrade from original stock Becker radio and Nokia speakers!

Alpine-ixl-507a-1.jpg

Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stop saying that wi-fi isn't possible in a head unit as they have been doing it since 2010 or 2011.

Even the one that the OP has has wi-fi built into it all you need to do is turn it on via the settings. You've said this a couple times that wi-fi is not possible in a car and that is wrong. Stop with this nonsense.

Yes, the Alpine has wi-fi, as others have said. I believe that this is the first year/model that Alpine has included wi-fi. May be wrong about that. But it was one of the reasons for getting this model. Car Play is connected without requiring a wire.

I decided that the system will benefit from a sub. Not much space in a Boxster, so I am installing the Pioneer ts-wx140 active sub this coming week. 8" x 50 rms watts (170 watts-Class D). So much for wanting to be economical :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Did I say that?
The jvc kwv960 is wifi certified. This wifi is loosely defined as such bc it’s unable to run external items. It’s for wireless streaming and navigation. My phone detects the signal but won’t increase reception of the phone itself. Bluetooth connection is what I thought linked them. It’s very vague what this “wifi” does or doesn’t do.

Usually, you will need to format an SSD after purchase in order to ensure it’s compatible with your operating system or if you are moving the SSD from one device to another. exFAT is the preferred file format for flash storage drives that you share between Windows and Mac. That said, windows isn’t really a player in the car audio scene, for internal device hardware that is, it’s Apple or Androind. Unless someone can chime in who knows more than I, (not hard to do) I would think that formatting the drive in exFAT would be best. Android devices come with FAT32 as the default file system mostly. Since OS version 4.1, Android models also support exFAT for the removal of media in the form of SD cards and flash drives.Jul 20, 2023

M2c…

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...