First audio upgrade: Head Unit vs ???

derekcohen

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi folks

I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with the original Porsche/Becker radio/CD CDR220. For those unfamiliar with the set up in my (now vintage) car - with this vintage set up? - there are 2 speakers at the front, 2 at the side, and 2 at the rear. No sub. This is all as the factory installed, and all is working as it did at the start. I've owned the car for about 15 years, and now I would like to upgrade the sound.

At present I mainly use an iPhone 11 with ALAC files, or hi res streaming from Tidal. The iPhone is connected via a Bluetooth adapter (this delightful relic was born before Bluetooth or USB) into the Aux input. There is the CD, of course, but changing out discs is tricky when driving on twisty roads and in traffic! Sound from all is decent - but I have no reference, and no idea how decent the CDR220 is by way of amplification, or whether the speakers are just plain junk.

In addition to sound, the other priority is GPS and a reversing camera, hence a larger screen than the iPhone. 7" appears to be the optimum size for this Boxster. Hands free phone calls would be nice, but this is not important to me (I have no interest in phone calls when driving). In any event, this seems to be a standard feature with head units. Apple Play would be needed.

My plan is to upgrade in stages, starting with the head unit, and replacing speakers later. I'd love to lash out and do it all in one go, but I also want to remain married. It's enough that my wife sees the change up as an extravagance, as she is happy with a basic car radio in her Golf.

I have short-listed two head units: Alpine ilx-407a and the Alpine ilx-507a. Plus the Alpine HCE-C1100 rear view camera. The main difference between the two head units (for myself) is that the 507a is wireless and the 407a requires a cable to connect the iPhone for Car Play. I am not sure how important this is since it may be better to connect with a cable anyway for the best sound. Comments? If so, the extra cost of the 507a may be wasted. Of course, I would much prefer the convenience of wireless, and would be prepared to spend the extra for this if the sound was not affected noticeably. It may not be an issue with my speakers (at this stage). Or I could put the difference towards a sub? I did research the Sony XAV-AX4000, but it appears that this is better with Android than Apple for lossless sound.

Thanks for your patience in reading through this. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Hello from Wisconsin
I have a jvc and added the rear view camera. It has a wired or wireless connection to my streaming. I use higher quality streams and can notice a difference between having the cord or straight through bt. It is hardly detectable . The quality of the streams is a more significant difference than connection.

Speaker and an amp combined w a decent hu will make a huge difference but I am empathetic to your want to stay married. Go in stages. Get that better hu and begin w that. If you’re unfamiliar w “the big 3” may want to look into this bc as your system develops it’s electrical need increases.
A 6 channel amp likely will be what you’d want for 6 speakers. It will sound amazing. Don’t skimp on the things you get along the way. Those boxers are small but cool. Check a site called

Crutchfield

They have a a cool tool to pair the size speakers your vehicle has w available options.
This tool may offer insight into adding some bass. If that’s something you’re interested in for tge future.

I started with speakers, and it made a lot of improvement in the sound. Your current speakers are 22 years old. I'm sure that they have served their useful life. Later, I added a new JVC double din head unit with all the bells and whistles. The primary reason I did that was for the backup camera. Good luck.

Last edited:
Those speakers will sound great. The alpine 507 you referenced has 4v outputs which should lend you some time should you choose to get an amp.

You apparently aren’t one to skimp on the quality. Further into your timeline, bass may be less spatially out of reach than you think, that trunk likely has enough space for a sub of some kind.

Hopefully your wife is an understanding, patient woman.

Good luck

John

Thanks John. My wife said "get the best you can. I don't wanting you to do it all over again". Ha! Famous last words. It opens the door to something that should be decent and last a while. I don't know too much about car audio, and just did a little research. I do have a decent audio system at home, but getting decent sound in the car has always been an bit of an extravagance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow! Can I “borrow” your wife when I need more upgrades?!? She’s awesome! Love it.

Anyways, just throwing this out there, but the guys at “5star Car Stereo” on YouTube did an install a couple/three years ago on a similar Boxster. I mention this because it could give you some good ideas for how to proceed. If I can find it, I’ll edit it in my post.

Found it. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
Well you can't have her! :giggle::giggle: I read her the message and she is now demanding a new pair of shoes for each audio component. Thanks very much! :)

Thanks for the link to the YouTube channel. I will check it out.

I have had one other idea, and am sure that it must be something others here are familiar with. One of the reasons I have picked the Alpine ilx-507A is that it has Tidal (and I have a subscription to the high rez items). But I note that it also can connect high res files via USB. What I would like to do is have a small SSD tucked away, along with a cable for the USB (so it can be removed and replaced). I don't want cables dangling (hence my preference for wireless and the ilx-507A over the ilx-407A, which is not wireless). So, has anyone done this? Old hat? Is there a USB port that can be recommended for the purpose (to be fitted inside a small case below the air con).

The small case is behind the gear shift ...

Boxster-audio4.jpg

Boxster-audio3.jpg

This is how it should look after installation (above is my car, but below is off the 'Net) ...

Boxster-audio2.jpg

For those interested, my old but nurtured 2001 Boxster S ...

Boxster2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
Ha-ha! Sorry, didn’t mean to make this a more expensive project. :D:LOL:

Hi-res Isn’t possible over wireless. It still uses Bluetooth for audio and that’s still lossy. To get hi-res you need to connect with a cable. I use Apple Music in my truck, and in the cigarette lighter location, I removed the power port (I have 2), and got an adapter off Amazon that has a USB cable on the back that plugs into the headunit, and fills the spot of the old port. Just the wire going from the USB Jack to the phone…done. Here’s a link to the Canadian Amazon site to what I mean…
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01MY1WDIU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
With the dual, I have one for a USB stick, and one for my phone.

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

What head unit do you have? One of the reasons I decided on Alpine rather than Sony was that Sony appears a better match for Android, while Alpine appears a better match for the iPhone (i.e. Apple). FAT32 is both Mac and Windows, as I understand. I use a MacBook Pro. The small SSD I was thinking of using is formatted Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled). It could be re-formatted to FAT32, but I wonder if it needs to be? Are some head units more "Mac-like" and others more "Windows-like"?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for this.

What head unit do you have? One of the reasons I decided on Alpine rather than Sony was that Sony appears a better match for Android, while Alpine appears a better match for the iPhone (i.e. Apple). FAT32 is both Mac and Windows, as I understand. I use a MacBook Pro. The small SSD I was thinking of using is formatted Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled). It could be re-formatted to FAT32, but I wonder if it needs to be? Are some head units more "Mac-like" and others more "Windows-like"?

Regards from Perth

Derek
I have a KENWOOD DMX906S. Specified in the manual is that a USB drive be formatted FAT32. I have a wired/wireless option, that’s why I installed the USB port in my dash, one for Apple, one for USB/Android. Works wonders, I’ve had no complaints.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...