Audacity and setting gains....questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
So after setting my subwoofer amp (FX-2600) to 800 watts using the frequency generator app for phone (I play mainly through bluetooth), which was recommended on here, I had bass galore and even thought it was a little too loud. Last night, after listening at quite loud volumes for 15-20 minutes, I began to smell my subs. No bueno! So I did a little more digging, researching, etc and came upon using Audacity to check songs for clipping, recording levels, etc. I use Google Music Play for most of my stuff, so it "should" be good quality.

I made recordings of my most severe bassy songs and checked em out. What's most odd is none of them had clipping. I guess that's a good thing, but in one case I just don't understand. Anyway, if what I have been told holds true, the frequency generator is about -10dB. Most of my offending songs max out at -5. Not so bad. A couple go up to -1. One song, however, goes up to +3dB! And yes, this is the song which I don't understand how it has no clipping. That makes no sense at all!

So, I guess my first question....is this a good way to check to see where I should be setting gains? The majority of my music I have checked so far comes in right around -8 to -10dB, so I was figuring if I could set gains to that area I could then use the remote to turn the gain down on the songs which have -5 and above so I don't send too much to my subs. Is that another alternative?

See, I did a little test. I played the 50Hz test tone from the app and my amp is still set at 800 watts. When I played a 0dB tone at the same volume, I got around 60 volts....or 3600 watts! I have been over-juicing the hell out of my poor HDS208's during those brief moments of heavy bass. Granted, I don't think the 2600 can quite get that many watts on dynamic, but if I remember right, the dyno came close. But ouch!! No wonder I could smell em!

So after setting my subwoofer amp (FX-2600) to 800 watts using the frequency generator app for phone (I play mainly through bluetooth), which was recommended on here, I had bass galore and even thought it was a little too loud. Last night, after listening at quite loud volumes for 15-20 minutes, I began to smell my subs. No bueno! So I did a little more digging, researching, etc and came upon using Audacity to check songs for clipping, recording levels, etc. I use Google Music Play for most of my stuff, so it "should" be good quality.
I made recordings of my most severe bassy songs and checked em out. What's most odd is none of them had clipping. I guess that's a good thing, but in one case I just don't understand. Anyway, if what I have been told holds true, the frequency generator is about -10dB. Most of my offending songs max out at -5. Not so bad. A couple go up to -1. One song, however, goes up to +3dB! And yes, this is the song which I don't understand how it has no clipping. That makes no sense at all!

So, I guess my first question....is this a good way to check to see where I should be setting gains? The majority of my music I have checked so far comes in right around -8 to -10dB, so I was figuring if I could set gains to that area I could then use the remote to turn the gain down on the songs which have -5 and above so I don't send too much to my subs. Is that another alternative?

See, I did a little test. I played the 50Hz test tone from the app and my amp is still set at 800 watts. When I played a 0dB tone at the same volume, I got around 60 volts....or 3600 watts! I have been over-juicing the hell out of my poor HDS208's during those brief moments of heavy bass. Granted, I don't think the 2600 can quite get that many watts on dynamic, but if I remember right, the dyno came close. But ouch!! No wonder I could smell em!
what do you mean no clipping. Anything approaching 0.5 db should be red as all hell on audacity. Do yourself a favor and get rid of all things thats 0db and above, thats cancer

Make your own test tones and use your sub level to adjust output to match each song. Your subwoofer gains is not a one setting fits all. You'll need to constantly adjust song by song if you want the max output out of it.

If you set your gains for -10 db, lets say your gain is at 60% and you play a song thats 0 db that means your gain is at 110%, rough estimation. Best thing to do is to recognize when it stops getting louder and back it off a few notches.

what do you mean no clipping. Anything approaching 0.5 db should be red as all hell on audacity. Do yourself a favor and get rid of all things thats 0db and above, thats cancer
Exactly what I thought!! I don't have the same section analyzed in these pics, but it's the same song. According to audacity, no clipping and during the section analyzed it gets to +1dB. Odd.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.