Setting Gains/volume knob

Participant count
  • Participant list

Carlos1son

CarAudio.com Regular
I got a question if I have my gains set correctly. Can I still blow my speakers with the volume control knob all the way up? I have a jd1000 pushing 2 w3 10’s just wondering how far with the knob I can turn it up and how do I know if it’s too high. Would I hear distortion? Thanks for the help

Spokey posted a good vid above. Most of the time 80% is the highest volume most head units can go without distortion and it's a safe bet. My Excelon will go up to 90% before distortion and some will play wide open.

My gain is set correctly I make sure my head unit is dialed down where it doesn’t cause clipping I’m just saying how far can I go with the remote volume knob on the amplifier?

Last edited:
Grimm I set my gain with the knob halfway and my head unit at 20. So you’re telling me let’s say my head unit is at 16 and I turn the volume knob all the way up I’m still safe?

Grimm I set my gain with the knob halfway and my head unit at 20. So you’re telling me let’s say my head unit is at 16 and I turn the volume knob all the way up I’m still safe?
You need to set your gain with the head unit at its highest clean volume and the bass remote turned all the way to full. That way you never go past your initial setting on the amp. Let's say you set your gain with the bass remote maxed and your head unit at 16 on volume. If you start jamming out and turn your head unit volume up past 16 you will clip as it is sending a stronger signal to the amp than what you initially tuned it for.

Last edited:
You need to set your gain with the head unit at its highest clean volume and the bass remote turned all the way to full. That way you never go past your initial setting on the amp. Let's say you set your gain witht he bass remote maxed and your head unit at 16 on volume. If you start jamming out and turn your head unit volume up past 16 you will clip as it is sending a stronger signal to the amp than what you initially tuned it for.

The gain is not a volume knob...that's the first step 😂
That's nothing but an annoyingly common phrase to try to sound smart. Don't say "gain is not a volume knob" until you can explain how it differs from a volume knob.

My gain is set correctly I make sure my head unit is dialed down where it doesn’t cause clipping I’m just saying how far can I go with the remote volume knob on the amplifier?
I'm not familiar with your amp, but that depends on if the remote volume knob is an attenuator or a remote gain control. If it's an attenuator, set your gain up to clipping, and your remote knob will not allow you to go higher. If it's a remote gain control, it trumps the gain setting on the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Carlos1son

CarAudio.com Regular
Carlos1son
old bridge NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views