Kenwood KMM-BT732HD default volume setting too loud and defaults to STANDBY mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

P0PC47

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,
I have some issues with a recent purchase of mine. I own a 99 Honda Accord and recently replaced the OEM radio with an Amazon tablet doing the navigation and a single DIN Kenwood radio. Everything is great, however there are a few annoyances I have with this radio.

First, the radio defaults to volume level 14, which in my car is significantly louder than most people would listen to music. So far, I have not found any way to change this to a lower volume other than setting the speakers to play audio at a lower decibel, but that's no good because if I want to play music at a loud volume level with the audio setup I have, it requires me to change those settings back to default.

Second, the radio defaults to STANDBY mode. You know how most radios, if not almost all OEM radios since way, way back, default to playing music on the station/method you chose at the volume you left it and the place you were on, whether that be USB, FM, AM, etc.? Well not this radio. It always defaults to that ear blasting volume 14 and STANDBY mode. How come I can't just set it and forget it? Every time I get in the car and start it up I sit there fiddling around with the radio before I can get going because it always stays off when I turn the car off and doesn't turn back on until I press the frickin power button and wait for it to initialize. Even the horrible OEM tape radio that came in this car was more convenient and faster at starting up than this radio simply because it was set and forget.

If you have any insight on how to change these two simple settings to make it default to Bluetooth audio and not be so loud, please comment!
Thanks

My last couple head units have been kenwood, and I've never had that. I would start by unplugging/disconnecting all the other stuff, especially the tablet, and anything that doesn't need to be there to play the radio. If it's bluetooth connecting, I would even remove that from available connections.

Disconnect the battery for an hour, to lose all memory and reconnect. See if it still does it, and if so should tell you it's the head unit. If it doesn't when you start the car, then turn the radio up but not to the same 14 setting, and shut the vehicle off, to where the accessories shut off. Vehicle back on, and if after that it doesn't hold that higher volume, then that would make me think it's the tablet.

It could have just retained the settings it originally had when you first connected it to bluetooth.

My last couple head units have been kenwood, and I've never had that. I would start by unplugging/disconnecting all the other stuff, especially the tablet, and anything that doesn't need to be there to play the radio. If it's bluetooth connecting, I would even remove that from available connections.

Disconnect the battery for an hour, to lose all memory and reconnect. See if it still does it, and if so should tell you it's the head unit. If it doesn't when you start the car, then turn the radio up but not to the same 14 setting, and shut the vehicle off, to where the accessories shut off. Vehicle back on, and if after that it doesn't hold that higher volume, then that would make me think it's the tablet.

It could have just retained the settings it originally had when you first connected it to bluetooth.
Do you think it could be that I have the battery (constant 12v) and acc (live when key is in 'on' position) wires flipped? I don't think they are, but it's very possible because I wasn't really sure what I was doing the first time around. If battery was connected to acc and vice versa, would it lose all settings because of the reversed wires or no? It always forgets what setting i had it on before, but doesn't forget speaker sizes, EQ settings, colors, etc.

I don't think so, but not certain. If it was me, I would disconnect the battery, and while waiting, then pull it out to double check if you aren't sure. For me I could have my head unit out in less than a minute.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...