Are 3 Subs Ideal For My Setup?

SeniorXJ
10+ year member

So I bought two 12 inch skar vxf d2's and a sundown sfb 5K to power them. The box will be 4 to 4.5 Cubes tuned to 32 Hz. My question is, would I be able to add a third scar vxf to the box if I build it to 5 Cubes and power it with the same 5K amp? Would that be a louder set up then 2 12s even though each sub would be getting less wattage?

Since you got 2 D2’s you can only wire to 2 ohms. 3 D2’s can be wired to 1.33 ohms aka more power. As long as you give them the proper air space and port, 3 will be louder. You have the electrical to support that much power correct?

So I bought two 12 inch skar vxf d2's and a sundown sfb 5K to power them. The box will be 4 to 4.5 Cubes tuned to 32 Hz. My question is, would I be able to add a third scar vxf to the box if I build it to 5 Cubes and power it with the same 5K amp? Would that be a louder set up then 2 12s even though each sub would be getting less wattage?

I don't think that will be enough airspace for 3.

Is there a way to wire two dual d2 subs to 1 Ohm at the amp?
No. You can wire to .5 ohms, 2 ohms, or 8 ohms
I Don't think the sfbs like anything below 1.

It's funny I made a similar mistake when i was young, two d2 subs, added a 3rd, but i was squeezed for airspace. It barely made a difference. upgraded to one large sub in the right box and blew away everything else i tried to do. I only had 2000 watts at 1 ohm though.
Those vxf subs recommend 1.8 to 2 cubes net, following what @dragon.breath said. Your'e short on space to run 3.
The sfb you have claims 3200 at 2 ohms. Which is perfect to run your current 2 subs at 2 ohms.
TLDR I would hook up the system you have in front of you at 2 ohms and give it a whirl. If it's not enough you'll have to figure out if you have the space for anything else, or look a different direction, possibly a single 15 that can take more power.

So if I push the box to to 5.5 -6 cu then would the 3rd sub make sence?
Only thing that ***** is I wanted each sub to see over 2 -2.5k rms.
Then again, 3 subs at 1650 rms have more cone area which should be another 2db..

Then again, 3 subs at 1650 rms have more cone area which should be another 2db..
If you had 6 net internal cubic feet after sub and port displacement then go for it.

Remember what @Clifff150 said. Adding the 3rd sub would bring your ohm load down, so you'll get more from the amp.
In this scenario you'd have a 2 ohm load with two subs about 2500 watts to share.
With the third sub added you might see closer to 3500-4000 watts to share at 1.33 ohms, so each sub is still gonna see about the same power. Make sure you know how to wire them correctly and please make sure you have the space for NET airspace.

Ps, I wouldn't try to count dbs with those rules of thumb because of how your wattage and space and airflow and trunk area are all affected. Theres too much going on to say how much you'll gain.

If you had 6 net internal cubic feet after sub and port displacement then go for it.

Remember what @Clifff150 said. Adding the 3rd sub would bring your ohm load down, so you'll get more from the amp.
In this scenario you'd have a 2 ohm load with two subs about 2500 watts to share.
With the third sub added you might see closer to 3500-4000 watts to share at 1.33 ohms, so each sub is still gonna see about the same power. Make sure you know how to wire them correctly and please make sure you have the space for NET airspace.
Everything said here is incorrect

Even with 5 cubes, 1.66 each it will be louder. Recommended is 1.8, 1.66 isn't gonna hurt anything.

I would still need a solid 1 ohm at the amp and not 1.33. At 1.33 the sfb 5k will only put out 4300 rms split 3 ways and they'll be underpowered.

What about buying a SFB-2k to power the 3rd sub? No it's not ideal but I'm trying to make what I already have work!

I also emailed skar to see if I can swap them for two d4 subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...