Anyone fancy helping me - Hertz ML2500 10"

You're incorrect in your understanding of ported vs. sealed.

You'll also likely ignore this advice, as you have when it was given to you before, but if you're not pleased with the bass response, you're better off finding a way to put a ported 8" near the hatch than any 12" in that cubby hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're indirect in your understanding of ported vs. sealed.
You'll also likely ignore this advice, as you have when it was given to you before, but if you're not pleased with the bass response, you're better off finding a way to put a ported 8" near the hatch than any 12" in that cubby hole.
Again, you are suggesting changes to my system design I have repeatedly said I am NOT gonna do! Despite the fact that yes they may result in better sound for me. Mine is one of the most restrictive autos you will ever install a sound system in, largely due to Chrysler's auto designs and my desire to remain within those restrictions too!

John Kuthe...

Your build is only restricted by your own arrogance, ignorance and stubbornness.
And the physical restrictions of the building environment!

I am NOT getting a new car or any or much new equipment! I have stated that repeatedly, and yet Caraudio.com keyboard jockeys seem to always want to get on here and tell me THEIR fantasy builds! Ignoring the restrictions of design I am both physically restricted to and have already decided upon and am comfortable with.

John Kuthe...

^^

Not like we have been thru challenges ourselves.....when dealing with builds weather big or small.

What does it take to get rid of this mutherfucker?!

Could yes, but a sealed enclosure normally just needs more power to achieve basically the same performance as a properly designed ported subwoofer enclosure, I think.
John Kuthe...

NO. A woofer designed to perform best sealed will have higher FS and low Qts. Low end will fall flat in sealed but open up with lots of "free" extension when you port it.

That said, the Alpine looks like it should perform quite well in sealed box as well, having very similar specs as the Hertz OP is using. In retrospect I can't tell you really how "good" any of the ported type R's I've heard did, but I know they were impressively loud for what they are.

So looking at the recommended ported box size of 280x280x290 = 22.7 litres, it doesn't say but seems to be gross volume.

Going to build a slot port across the bottom with the same area as the 77.5 dia port it suggests, prob 36x130 x250 long. Should take the net volume down to about 25litres.

Aesthetically I'd like to put the port on the front face with the sub, but the HERTZ suggested box shows it on he side perpendicular to the sub, do you think this is critical for the tune/design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So looking at the recommended ported box size of 280x280x290 = 22.7 litres, it doesn't say but seems to be gross volume.Going to build a slot port across the bottom with the same area as the 77.5 dia port it suggests, prob 36x130 x250 long. Should take the net volume down to about 25litres.

Aesthetically I'd like to put the port on the front face with the sub, but the HERTZ suggested box shows it on he side perpendicular to the sub, do you think this is critical for the tune/design?

Port and sub on the same plane will yield best results. No, it won't hurt to run the port rear as well. The key is to have the driver as far away from the port mouth as possible.

Port made

85b8b7ccf79a7683ac37f01b6c9d423b.jpg

Got the sub out of the old box

815540c9bc28f2516f3558eac364b9da.jpg

2 recessed and the mount

2cba73fe2a3654743e1fb5c1d40eb76e.jpg

The backing plates are glued to the front.

They take about 1.5 L each out so down to 25 L.

710dab6011e03d228aaa0dc3b29d2de5.jpg

Slot port looks ok on front face
7df7f39d5494cd359102d44fe86e14f7.jpg

Looks pretty nice. I hope you're not using too much power. The other main issue about trying to tune low in a tiny box is that port volume starts to become really huge so you either shoot yourself in the foot by having to make the box really big just to fit the port, or you skimp on port area which can lead to troubles. On the bright side, you can easily get some weather stripping and a small scrap of wood to seal off that port for testing.

It's a little late now, but port placement on the box (or more specifically where it fires in the vehicle) can make a dramatic difference, though this is exceedingly hard to predict and the ONLY way to optimize is either testing or talking to someone who has actually tested in the same vehicle.

Thanks,

The box recommendation was 77.5 dia x 250lg so my 36x130 slot is the same area and 250lg as suggested.

There is 80-100mm space behind the port so shouldn't effect it.

The box is wedged against the back seats with the sub /port face facing the back of the trunk. Time will tell if this is a good layout.

The sub is rated at 500rms 4ohm and my Kenwood 9106D amp is the same for 4ohm.

I'm only using 4ga power/earth but the battery is in the spare wheel right next to the amp so runs are real short

7270713b5a79f9629c018b006b1df0b4.jpg

Some fluorescent paint on the inside back just for fun

9f108260ac9d3813cc4762e47c647d48.jpg

7d1c2bc9c7306af4b146a3daf79208bb.jpg

Wired to the terminal plate, used the wiring from the old box so it has to go in with the terminals on the plate side so the 'hertz' logo is upside down [emoji54]

42d0e7d32a8175c5edded4c23be8819c.jpg

bca27a1340d372472f1542baeb2d6de2.jpg

It looks lost in the A6 trunk.

35546341c5c2d16fb2e205e925ea3745.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.