Oh look more questions about ports, exciting..

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright, some of you guys might remember my old thread asking about the lack of audible output with an x15v2 on 2k front firing in the trunk. I ended up sealing it off to the best of my ability and i did get a surprising increase in the audible output, but its already time for a potential upgrade because ya know, young and dumb with more money than sense is what my parents keep saying...

That being said, I was really wanting to grab a 15" along the lines of an SP4, Evil or something in that range and pushing it with more than likely a SCV4k.

I've got one main concern thats really holding me back from pulling the trigger. I'd very much like to use an aeroport for this box and i see alot of people from facebook groups to forums that say use 1 8" or 2 6" ports for say the SP4 on 3k or 4k but modeling it gives me vent speeds in the high 30s and low 40s which from all my prior research is way out of the "safe range" for avoiding compression and port noise.

TLDR Are aeroports really that much more efficient than slot ports in the sense that you can get away with much higher vent speeds or are people just dense and dont know better or just dont care about potential compression issues and noise issues?

As always, input is greatly appreciated.

Side note, i can fit a slot port with more than enough port area i'd just really like to try out aeros.

TIA

any 4 inch fi 15 and a banda 7k, taramps hd8k, etc. for the best results at your point. if you have good electrical get a taramps bass 15k

and yes that port area is a-ok

dont expect an aeroport to give you worthwhile output for your effort, orientation, vehicle tuning, enclosure optimization, power, and sub choice will dictate that

Yes aeros are more efficient, you can get away with as little as 8-9 ^2

any 4 inch fi 15 and a banda 7k, taramps hd8k, etc. for the best results at your point. if you have good electrical get a taramps bass 15k
and yes that port area is a-ok

dont expect an aeroport to give you worthwhile output for your effort, orientation, vehicle tuning, enclosure optimization, power, and sub choice will dictate that

Thanks guys and yeah im still piecing things together as far as equipment but glad to hear that i'll be able to get away with the aero, appreciated as always!

Alright, some of you guys might remember my old thread asking about the lack of audible output with an x15v2 on 2k front firing in the trunk. I ended up sealing it off to the best of my ability and i did get a surprising increase in the audible output, but its already time for a potential upgrade because ya know, young and dumb with more money than sense is what my parents keep saying...
That being said, I was really wanting to grab a 15" along the lines of an SP4, Evil or something in that range and pushing it with more than likely a SCV4k.

I've got one main concern thats really holding me back from pulling the trigger. I'd very much like to use an aeroport for this box and i see alot of people from facebook groups to forums that say use 1 8" or 2 6" ports for say the SP4 on 3k or 4k but modeling it gives me vent speeds in the high 30s and low 40s which from all my prior research is way out of the "safe range" for avoiding compression and port noise.

TLDR Are aeroports really that much more efficient than slot ports in the sense that you can get away with much higher vent speeds or are people just dense and dont know better or just dont care about potential compression issues and noise issues?

As always, input is greatly appreciated.

Side note, i can fit a slot port with more than enough port area i'd just really like to try out aeros.

TIA
how good is the seal? Have you done air leak tests from the trunk to the cabin? Any little leak would costs several tenths to a several dbs of output depending on the leak.

Remember your rear deck needs to be sealed off too not just where the sub box is firing in. Try changing the tuning of the box first or add some wood pieces inside to take up airspace.

seal is most likely horribly subpar but for a first go i think it went half decent, ripped out all the equipment already because im impatient but the rear deck and trunk were sealed up with more wood, expanding foam because im dumb, deadener and whatnot, not the prettiest but it did give me a decent increase in output. Whenever i decide what the next setup will be and its not snowing i'll go back in and make sure everything is 100% stout and proper.

Any recommendations beside great stuff? i dont mind the mess but if theres a cleaner way for everywhere it isnt already im all for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.