Another Sound Dampening Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

mil81
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Alright guys,

I am looking at buying some *NEW* DYNAMAT 1/2" DYNALINER FOAM INSULATION MAT from an Ebay store. The question I have is, how thick do I need to dampen the doors of the Dodge, in order to improve the sound of my mids?

They have a number of different sizes, including 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8".

I would assume I need the 1/2" stuff, but if I can save the coin and go with the 1/4" that would be great.

Please let me know

Foams like that do almost no vibration damper. They're good for gasketing trim panels and will absorb very high frequencies. Best way to improve the sound of your door mounted mids is to apply vibration damper to the sheet metal and seal the access hole.

Crap. That was going to make everything easy getting this stuff from the same spot I'm getting my speakers.

That makes sense though, I guess I should have read it a little closer. Thanks for the input.

What would you do to seal off the access hole? I would assume if you cover the door panel (inside) with dampner, and cover the door skin (except for around the speaker), it would be sealed off enough.

Murray

You could do this like mine.

IMG_0828.jpg

Oh ****. I guess it's time to bust out the tin snips. I would have thought covering the holes with the dampner would be sufficient. I guess that's what you guys are here for. LOL.

Thanks for your help.

I use aluminum flashing from the Home Depot roofing department, self tapping screws and silicone caulk. Put deadener on the flashing, but leave teh edges exposed so you can get back in there if you need to.

01.jpg
04.jpg

I slid vinyl tubing over the actuator rods to make them slide in and out of the cover more smoothly and to eliminate rattles - not in the picture.

Sweet. That looks like a nice setup. What is the black stuff in the second picture. I assume the silver stuff is the stick on stuff like Dynamat, and Raamat, and the black stuff is a second layer of paint on stuff?

Sweet. That looks like a nice setup. What is the black stuff in the second picture. I assume the silver stuff is the stick on stuff like Dynamat, and Raamat, and the black stuff is a second layer of paint on stuff?
Yeah, there were quite a few changes between the first picture and the last. Silver stuff is a mixture of mats and the black is painted on liquid.

05.jpg

Nice. That must have been tedious getting that paint on stuff inside the doors too.

Do you still have the silver stuff on under the black stuff? It doesn't look like it. If not, which did you like better?

Nice. That must have been tedious getting that paint on stuff inside the doors too.
Do you still have the silver stuff on under the black stuff? It doesn't look like it. If not, which did you like better?
Silver stuff is still there. If I just used one, it would be mat. Liquid on top of mat works very well. It works pretty well alone, but I think butyl adhesive/aluminum foil mat works better alone.

Silver stuff is still there. If I just used one, it would be mat. Liquid on top of mat works very well. It works pretty well alone, but I think butyl adhesive/aluminum foil mat works better alone.
Ruby,

I have an 89 Camaro. Currently the back half of the car is gutted (see pic). Before I reinstall the plastic trim panels, I was wondering if I should install Dynamat (or Damplfier) on the inside of the metal or install on the back of the plastic trim. Which makes more sense (the car already has dynamat on the doors and trunk area (under the carpet). I'm looking to reduce road noise and vibration. My SQ system will be a single 12" DVC sub (ID Q12).

Thanks

100_0429.jpg

Ruby,
I have an 89 Camaro. Currently the back half of the car is gutted (see pic). Before I reinstall the plastic trim panels, I was wondering if I should install Dynamat (or Damplfier) on the inside of the metal or install on the back of the plastic trim. Which makes more sense (the car already has dynamat on the doors and trunk area (under the carpet). I'm looking to reduce road noise and vibration. My SQ system will be a single 12" DVC sub (ID Q12).

Thanks

100_0429.jpg
Definitely go with the metal. Adding some to the back of the plastic might help some with resonance and buzzing, but I'd target the metal first.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.