Another Big 3 question

No i haven't been shocked by a car battery. Are you playing with batteries in the bath tub or something? Sorry I have actual formal education on the subject. If the other guy said anything about preventing shorts that'd be different. He just said don't touch it and then wouldn't say why.
I also have formal education as well as years of hands on experience on the subject, working with 12, 24, 120, 240, and 480 three phase. Regardless of the reason he gave to unhook the battery first, it's solid advice. And no, no batteries in the tub. Just years of working on cars thinking I didn't need to unhook the battery because it was just 12 volts, until it bit me once. I thought the same rewing CNC electrical cabinets. It's just 4v, what could happen? 2 days later I'm still sifting through wires and fuses trying to figure out what popped and killed my controls.

I also have formal education as well as years of hands on experience on the subject, working with 12, 24, 120, 240, and 480 three phase. Regardless of the reason he gave to unhook the battery first, it's solid advice. And no, no batteries in the tub. Just years of working on cars thinking I didn't need to unhook the battery because it was just 12 volts, until it bit me once. I thought the same rewing CNC electrical cabinets. It's just 4v, what could happen? 2 days later I'm still sifting through wires and fuses trying to figure out what popped and killed my controls.
Meh. Agree to disagree. If the best explanation he can give is "it's common sense", he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. He insists on doing something but can't tell me why? Ok dude.

Wow, since its my thread I'm going to thrown in on this.
Personally, I always disconnect the battery before I do anything electrical
Not because I'm afraid of getting a shock from the car but because I'm afraid of frying something.
Maybe it's necessary, maybe it's not.
IDK and don't have any formal training to speak of.
Just lots of trial and error in my garage for the last 20 years and believe me I have made my faire share of mistakes.
I just see it as one of those better safe than sorry situations plus it takes like 30 seconds to unhook it so its not like I'm seriously going out of my way.
Just my 2 cents.

I so miss the CRX, the new ones are just the same.

In another life I had BMW 135i that I had 2 JL 10's running off an old school Fosgate Power 800a2, the BBQ looking ones.
No internal fuse but I had it mounted 18-20 inches from the fuse block
I guess the power wire was rubbing on something and shorted out
Literally melted the board under the transformer
To show just how tough those old fosgates were... I only lost one channel.
There was a toonie sized hole but it kept on playing.
Of course only one sub was playing and the smell was god awful in the car for a few days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.