ohms ugh

Participant count
  • Participant list

doughboy743

CarAudio.com Newbie
ok so I am sure this has been covered before but I cant find a definitive answer. I'm not 100% new to this whole sub amp thing but this is the first time I've tried to make them match. I have a mrx-m100 and 2 kicker c10s. The subs are 4ohm 150w rms meaning 2 wired in series is 8ohm 300w rms. The mrx-m100 is 600w at 4ohms. So logically its 300w at 8ohms right? I'm wondering if the mrx-m100 will be too much for them. or vice versa. I know ohms and rms are important and someone once told me too much ohms is bad for an amplifier. So basically I feel like an idiot my big question is will putting 8ohms to the amp be too much for it to handle or will it have too much rms for the 300w rms subs to handle I've spent a lot of money to buy this set up id rather not blow it apart in the first week.

It is too low impedance that can damage your amplifier. As to how much power your subs can handle if you're not sure stick to what the manufacturer suggests and be careful until you get a feel for where they may begin to stress.

Don't forget to break your subs in.
You shouldn't just run full power into them out of the box.
Dial the amp back and play it like that for a week or two and slowly turn it up over the next couple weeks
They need to stretch out so to speak, helps increase the life span on them.
You have a lot of power to spare with that amp so there is room to build at a later date if you want.

thank you guys! i do plan to upgrade in the future but like i said in my post this was a wicked good deal i got 150$ worth of speakers for 50$ i couldn't pass on them and i knew it sounded funny that 8ohms would be bad for the amp i always heard the lower the ohms the worse it was but then i had someone tell me the more their was the worse it was! and i had to ask people who knew more about this then i did! i bought the amp for 150$ used.

Do remember though that the resistance plays a large factor in how many watts your sub is getting from the amp. I usually see that at 2 ohm, the speaker gets about double the power of a 4 ohm speaker. Stands to reason that an 8 ohm speaker would get half of the 4 ohm amp rating, since vehicle amps generally don't give an 8 ohm rating.

well thats the thing the subs are only rated for 300w rms and the amplifier is 600w rms at 4ohms i need to reduce the power or risk blowing the subwoofers anyway right? so by adding resistance to 8ohms it should drop the power over all to 300w rms and making the amps power match that of the 2 subwoofers right?

Yeah that sounds right to me. You could also just keep the gains low. It has been suggested here to me to get amps with double the output of the subs for overhead.

It is too low impedance that can damage your amplifier. As to how much power your subs can handle if you're not sure stick to what the manufacturer suggests and be careful until you get a feel for where they may begin to stress.

Thank you, about the most helpful info I have gotten.

Don't forget to break your subs in.
You shouldn't just run full power into them out of the box.
Dial the amp back and play it like that for a week or two and slowly turn it up over the next couple weeks
They need to stretch out so to speak, helps increase the life span on them.
You have a lot of power to spare with that amp so there is room to build at a later date if you want.

i have heard this a few times and have just gone hard on some subs and watched them blow a week into owning them. dont plan to let that happen this time

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.