Another Big 3 question

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
Sorry I'm sure everyone's sick of them but the pictures in the sticky are gone and I just need to be sure
I have a 2015 Infiniti Q50. I'm just adding a sub and amp....for now.
Its a DD M1D and a DD 3510 (dual 2)
I have upgraded the battery to a optima and want to do the big 3
Doing the grounding part of it is a no brainer.
The Battery to Alt is where I'm running into a problem.
I see a terminal on the side of the Alt but it has a black cap under it.
Wouldn't that be a ground?
If so where do I hook it up to (I have included a picture of the alt)
I know I should fuse it but what size? 250?
I have 2 150amp fuses in my power wire going to the amp, one at the battery and one at the amp
So I guess I'm asking if I just go directly from the battery to alt and where on the alt and what size fuse
The alt is rated at 150amps if it matters
F199435435.jpg

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Sorry I'm sure everyone's sick of them but the pictures in the sticky are gone and I just need to be sure
I have a 2015 Infiniti Q50. I'm just adding a sub and amp....for now.
Its a DD M1D and a DD 3510 (dual 2)
I have upgraded the battery to a optima and want to do the big 3
Doing the grounding part of it is a no brainer.
The Battery to Alt is where I'm running into a problem.
I see a terminal on the side of the Alt but it has a black cap under it.
Wouldn't that be a ground?
If so where do I hook it up to (I have included a picture of the alt)
I know I should fuse it but what size? 250?
I have 2 150amp fuses in my power wire going to the amp, one at the battery and one at the amp
So I guess I'm asking if I just go directly from the battery to alt and where on the alt and what size fuse
The alt is rated at 150amps if it matters
View attachment 26126
On that screw on the back side. You should be able to track the proper spot on your currently installed alternator.

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
The black plastic is just to keep the positive wire from shorting to the case which is grounded.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Not in the slightest. Are you avoiding the question?
A 12v system can still explode... the real danger of a 12v system. Plenty of amperage, not enough voltage but explosive.

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
Not in the slightest. Are you avoiding the question?
Yes I'm avoiding your question. I say things just because I can. Keyboard goes click click clook..

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Yeah, forgot about the ring thing... I don't wear one but when I worked as a parts sales person and installed batteries, in the beginning, I threw my share of sparks.

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Explain it. Please. Humor me. I must have traded in my common sense when I got my electronics degree. Spoon feed it to me. Give actual information rather than trying to rally a crowd. Give me logic instead of irrelevant links.

I'll start: measure the resistance from one hand to the other. You'll have to switch your range to megaohms. Use ohm's law to see how much current is actually passing through your body when you touch 12vdc. Research how much current it takes to feel a shock.

I started with a genuine question that you clearly can't answer. I'm always open to conversation.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
Explain it. Please. Humor me. I must have traded in my common sense when I got my electronics degree. Spoon feed it to me. Give actual information rather than trying to rally a crowd. Give me logic instead of irrelevant links.

I'll start: measure the resistance from one hand to the other. You'll have to switch your range to megaohms. Use ohm's law to see how much current is actually passing through your body when you touch 12vdc. Research how much current it takes to feel a shock.

I started with a genuine question that you clearly can't answer. I'm always open to conversation.
I love you too Susan!

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
Reverting to the question: why should you "unplug" the battery before touching the alternator post?
Do it. Go ahead and loose that bolt.. with a good ol' METAL wrench. Please; film yourself.

I don't know who gave you that degree but you should ask your money back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds