And it looked so promising...

Is installing 2 amps really that much more difficult than installing one? It's an extra distro block and fuse.
There's definitely some compact vehicles and high end sports cars where space is limited, (but who would buy $100k+ car and put this hideous thing in it).

I don't think it's about being difficult, it just cuts down on the need for a mid/high/component amp + multiple amp stuff. There's the cost of the 4awg wire power and ground, but for two distribution blocks you are anywhere from $30-$80. Depending on the two amps, you might exceed the remote wire voltage. So there's a relay and more wiring, or some other $30+ connector (not often on two, but a really slim chance).

So not only is it the cost of the amp, but another $50-$100 because of not needing to go multiple amps.

I can see a lot of people who don't know what they are doing, are going to just connect their factory speaker wiring up to this and not get what they don't know they are missing.

Last edited:
IMO if you're going to go through all the trouble to get power wire up through the firewall to the battery you may as well run a proper amp off a real head unit... but it's cool because most people who buy one of these will probably just hook it up to their factory radio wiring anyway.

That all said, I wonder who their target market is and if they'll even care or know the difference so long as it is louder than whatever came from the factory?

I guess it would be ideal for all those that run around on Golf Carts and weird 4 wheelers I see running around the neighborhoods and at the Drag tracks? Maybe something for the Garage or Workshop even?

Copy / paste of my comment from 6 days ago.

"With modern micro-controller technology, seems a bit ridiculous how they designed this. I feel like this idea would have been great 20+ years ago, and I suppose still an option for older vehicles, but modern cars I can’t see anyone installing one of these, it looks like an ancient flea market brand head unit, with not very good adjustability. Could be cool to make a portable boombox driving a couple 10’s and highs where you only need a server power supply to run it. I’ll admit I’m not much into audio gear as I’ve gotten older, and I don’t play with it much at all these days, just trying to see a solid use for it. A car audio enthusiast would have no use for this, meaning, there are much better alternatives for SQ or SPL, or well even daily systems when it comes to a head unit, and the average consumer would be better off with a modern OEM head unit and just add a small amp under a seat if 100wx4 is needed. Just thinking out loud as I watch this. Interesting product but definitely needs a lot of rethought to the functionality."

Aside from that comment, the output power is handy, is an interesting idea overall, but I could never see myself using one of these, nor anybody else seriously into car audio, and what modern cars / trucks / SUV's would you take out an OEM head unit for this? The older cars it still could perhaps be a possibility. This would have probably flown off the shelves in the 1990's, but today?

What happens if the built in amp IC dies, you're s**t out of luck if you can't get the output chip, if my external 4ch dies, I can just swap it out and still have my head unit or vice versa. I don't like chip-amp amplifiers.

I like the golf cart / motorcycle idea use for it, and vehicles like that.

Just random thoughts as I watched this, be interesting and I'm curious to see how they update it going forward.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
spokey9
NE AR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views