Head Unit Display Brightness

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sobez

CarAudio.com Newbie
canada
Just installed an after market radio in my Honda civic 2007 lx. Installation went smoothly. Everything works. Only thing that isn't perfect is the display brightness. During the day you can't see anything. Seems to be stuck on dim ?? My stock radio didn't have this problem. It would dim when the lights were on though I think. I installed my new radio using a wire harness adapter to hook to the aftermarket radio power cables. Connected the colors. Harness had a dim wire (orange wire). The aftermarket radio didn't have one so I'm not using it. I did try connecting it to the red wire and then the yellow but nothing did anything. Not sure what the problem is, can't seem to find any information on the internet about it. Iv seen pictures of my headunits display working during the day, so it's not suppose to be like that. I tried using three diming controls on my dash, That only controls the gauges brightness. Tried connecting the red wire to the yellow and vice versa. Nothing.

Anyone know what's going on ? can i do anything to get a good brightness for my head unit ?

Any kind of help is appreciated.
Thanks 🤙🤙

Just installed an after market radio in my Honda civic 2007 lx. Installation went smoothly. Everything works. Only thing that isn't perfect is the display brightness. During the day you can't see anything. Seems to be stuck on dim ?? My stock radio didn't have this problem. It would dim when the lights were on though I think. I installed my new radio using a wire harness adapter to hook to the aftermarket radio power cables. Connected the colors. Harness had a dim wire (orange wire). The aftermarket radio didn't have one so I'm not using it. I did try connecting it to the red wire and then the yellow but nothing did anything. Not sure what the problem is, can't seem to find any information on the internet about it. Iv seen pictures of my headunits display working during the day, so it's not suppose to be like that. I tried using the diming controls on my dash, That only controls the gauges brightness. Tried connecting the red wire to the yellow and vice versa. Nothing.

Anyone know what's going on ? can i do anything to get a good brightness for my head unit ?

Thanks 🤙🤙
*** the display works during the day, it's just that it's so dim you can't see anything.

Last edited:
Orange wire if you did have one dims the stereo when you turn your headlights on and the dash lights turn on too.
Your stereo should have a brightness setting in the illumination/display menu. Turn it all the way up if it isn't. Even maxed out sunlight is a b!tch

Last edited:
Orange wire if you did have one dims the stereo when you turn your headlights on and the dash lights turn on too.
Your stereo should have a brightness setting in the illumination/display menu. Turn it all the way up if it isn't. Even maxed out sunlight is a b!tch
My head unit dosnt have a illumination/display menu. Checked already.

I was a little unclear about what you did.

The orange wire (sometimes orange with a white stripe) is an illumination wire. IF your vehicle's harness has it, you connect it so the head unit brightens and dims with the adjustable brightness control for the dash/gauges.

If your factory harness has an illumination wire you connect it. If your head unit or factory harness does not, then you don't.

I was a little unclear about what you did.

The orange wire (sometimes orange with a white stripe) is an illumination wire. IF your vehicle's harness has it, you connect it so the head unit brightens and dims with the adjustable brightness control for the dash/gauges.

If your factory harness has an illumination wire you connect it. If your head unit or factory harness does not, then you don't.
My harness nor my head unit has a illumination wire (orange with white stripe). My harness has a Dim wire (just orange) but my headunit dosnt, so I didn't connect it. I tried to connect it to a 12v wire to see what would happen but it did nothing.

My harness nor my head unit has a illumination wire (orange with white stripe). My harness has a Dim wire (just orange) but my headunit dosnt, so I didn't connect it. I tried to connect it to a 12v wire to see what would happened. OH wait... maybe if I connect the DIM wire to a 12v then adjust the dash lights, then that would work.. I'll try it tonight 👍 thanks that was helpful. Haha

Just installed an after market radio in my Honda civic 2007 lx. Installation went smoothly. Everything works. Only thing that isn't perfect is the display brightness. During the day you can't see anything. Seems to be stuck on dim ?? My stock radio didn't have this problem. It would dim when the lights were on though I think. I installed my new radio using a wire harness adapter to hook to the aftermarket radio power cables. Connected the colors. Harness had a dim wire (orange wire). The aftermarket radio didn't have one so I'm not using it. I did try connecting it to the red wire and then the yellow but nothing did anything. Not sure what the problem is, can't seem to find any information on the internet about it. Iv seen pictures of my headunits display working during the day, so it's not suppose to be like that. I tried using three diming controls on my dash, That only controls the gauges brightness. Tried connecting the red wire to the yellow and vice versa. Nothing.

Thanks 🤙🤙
What brand and model no is the head unit? It may have brightness settings within the menu.
My head unit does
👍🏼

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...