amp sub match questions

thats why i didnt stop the sub as soon as i smelled it. i thought to myslef that the sub has never seen any real power before so maybe dust or the usual break in smell. but my buddy is a cook he touches hot stuff all day long and this was hot to the touch. i wish i had my thermal temp gun on me i would of checked. anyways the good news is that i might have some minor hearing loss from just those 3 minutes cause the sub sounded impressive. anyways as long as this dont happen w my new amp(which i have yet to receive back from sonic). we're good.

*edit i was snooping for a recone kit but couldnt find one for this sub. in the event it blows is it worth the recone? or should i just invest in a new, nice name brand as a replacement. this sub is from 05 so i can imagine theyve only got better 900rms 10s now

Underpowering WILL NOT hurt the sub. What do you think happens when you turn the volume down? What happened was with your buddies amp, he is just as bad as you and the gain and or bass boost is cranked. Gain is there to match your headunits pre out voltage not a power knob. The sub is also very overated. If you have scrathy coil then its falling apart, unless you pushed it down not completly straight

I agree on this, you cannot kill a sub because its under powered the only downside is the sub will not perform as expected on lower power.

thats why i didnt stop the sub as soon as i smelled it. i thought to myslef that the sub has never seen any real power before so maybe dust or the usual break in smell. but my buddy is a cook he touches hot stuff all day long and this was hot to the touch. i wish i had my thermal temp gun on me i would of checked. anyways the good news is that i might have some minor hearing loss from just those 3 minutes cause the sub sounded impressive. anyways as long as this dont happen w my new amp(which i have yet to receive back from sonic). we're good.
*edit i was snooping for a recone kit but couldnt find one for this sub. in the event it blows is it worth the recone? or should i just invest in a new, nice name brand as a replacement. this sub is from 05 so i can imagine theyve only got better 900rms 10s now
You're not going to have hearing lose cause that sub is not impressive. You're going to have it because it was destored to ****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.