Amp Reccomendations for Memphis Mojo 12

Participant count
  • Participant list
So you're saying the amps that you linked are only capable to power the mojo, and if i were to get a bigger sub, they would no longer provide enough power safely?

Are you implying that an amp rated any less than 3-4x what the sub is rated for is not safe?
Do you mean bigger as in a sub with higher power handling or physically bigger like going up to a 15 or 18?

I'm referring to thermal power handling.

There is no immediate danger powering a sub with an amp rated for less power.

You're always best off to have more amplifier power than you need so the amp isn't working as hard and there is less chance for a distorted signal to the sub.

When you run a lesser rated amp to a sub, problems happen when the settings are turned up too high to compensate for the lack of power, causing distortion (clipping) which creates excess heat which kills voice coils. That is how that 1k or 1.5k amp you have blew the sub.

You could run a 5k amp to that sub and be ok but those are outside of your budget of $600

Do you mean bigger as in a sub with higher power handling or physically bigger like going up to a 15 or 18?

I'm referring to thermal power handling.

There is no immediate danger powering a sub with an amp rated for less power.

You're always best off to have more amplifier power than you need so the amp isn't working as hard and there is less chance for a distorted signal to the sub.

When you run a lesser rated amp to a sub, problems happen when the settings are turned up too high to compensate for the lack of power, causing distortion (clipping) which creates excess heat which kills voice coils. That is how that 1k or 1.5k amp you have blew the sub.

You could run a 5k amp to that sub and be ok but those are outside of your budget of $600
I mean higher power handling, no matter the size.

Is thermal power handling the rms of the voice coil?

I get what you're saying about why having a more powerful amp than sub is better, but how do you quantify that? Where's the point where you go from having plenty of extra amp power to having an unnecessary amount of amp power? I was looking online a bit, and I read that you want an amp to be 75-150% of the sub's rms. Is 150% the point where you go from extra power to unnecessary power?

I mean higher power handling, no matter the size.
Is thermal power handling the rms of the voice coil?

I get what you're saying about why having a more powerful amp than sub is better, but how do you quantify that? Where's the point where you go from having plenty of extra amp power to having an unnecessary amount of amp power? I was looking online a bit, and I read that you want an amp to be 75-150% of the sub's rms. Is 150% the point where you go from extra power to unnecessary power?
Thermal power handling is rated in watts rms.

The only way to tell when you're crossing the line is by using a clamp meter to measure the actual power the sub is getting. Every frequency is going to be different depending on a handful of variables. Every sub reacts differently. As a general rule of thumb I stick to an amp rated for 3-4x the rating of the sub and when I'm hammering on it I feel the dustcap to check for heat and if it feels warm I'll back it off. I've never blown a sub that way. The power matching guides online are made by manufacturers as an attempt to minimize warranty claims.

Just because you have say a 2k amp doesn't mean that's what your getting....your sub is getting. It may be under rated a bit or close to it. Also depends upon your electrical factor. A lot of people don't understand this and also they love to say well the amp does 2500 peak....no it doesn't peak power is only for a few seconds. Continuous/rms power is what's important. That's everyday listening at moderate levels.

For example, my sub is rated for 1250 watts. Quite a bit huh?! I've seen people put 3-4x it's rated power on them and do fine. They are very under rated. As long as a clean signal is generated to the subs, and no bass boost from amps in involved, should be good. And watch mechanical limits also....could severely hurt the sub that way too.

Found it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfVulKxkHs

For example, my sub is rated for 1250 watts. Quite a bit huh?! I've seen people put 3-4x it's rated power on them and do fine. They are very under rated. As long as a clean signal is generated to the subs, and no bass boost from amps in involved, should be good. And watch mechanical limits also....could severely hurt the sub that way too.
Thanks for the info. When you say mechanical limits, would that be the advertised maximum wattage of the subwoofer? What is bass boosting from the amp?

Thanks for the info. When you say mechanical limits, would that be the advertised maximum wattage of the subwoofer? What is bass boosting from the amp?
Watch that vid. About 1/2 way you can hear the coil hitting bottom of the sub/back plate. Kinda like metal hitting metal. Tough to describe typing. That's also called mechanical limits. It too can damage the sub/coil if it's done too much.

Some amps have bass boost on them. This should be left alone.

Watch that vid. About 1/2 way you can hear the coil hitting bottom of the sub/back plate. Kinda like metal hitting metal. Tough to describe typing. That's also called mechanical limits. It too can damage the sub/coil if it's done too much.
Some amps have bass boost on them. This should be left alone.
That sounds horrifying in the video. Quick question: Would you recommend tuning your own subwoofer or having a local shop do it?

That sounds horrifying in the video. Quick question: Would you recommend tuning your own subwoofer or having a local shop do it?
You can't tune a subwoofer. If you mean enclosure, that would depend upon you and what music you listen to. The longer the port, the lower the tuning. The shorter the port, it will tune the enclosure higher.

You can't tune a subwoofer. If you mean enclosure, that would depend upon you and what music you listen to. The longer the port, the lower the tuning. The shorter the port, it will tune the enclosure higher.
Oh okay. Well would you recommend most people to tune their enclosure themselves or have a professional do it?

Would these amps leave room for sub upgrades? What is the max rms wattage sub you can safely run on each of these?
hence why i said to get the 8k

For everyone's enjoyment, here's the amp that blew the mojo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif
https://imgur.com/a/pHNGx
probably was clipping the $hit out of it...

This is somewhat off topic, but I just found this battery from when my brother had a sundown sub. Would this be worth using? It's probably 2-3 years old.
https://imgur.com/a/TPjQr
charge it up and see what kind of voltage it maintains. Good batt

Oh okay. Well would you recommend most people to tune their enclosure themselves or have a professional do it?
Once you find a designer to help you get a good box, he'll ask your preference of tune, and go from there if you plan to build your own box. Or if you prefer someone to build box, then you can tell that person your tune preference also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.