American bass VFL-8" woofer depth?

well, i just placed an order on amazon prime, so hopefully by friday at the latest i'll know the answer and post the results. 
Free shipping and great customer service here: https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/vfl-comp-8d-inch-400w-rms-dvc-subwoofer/ 

AB didn't provide us with depth.  It 's mounting depth much closer to 5 than 9.8 based on the images.

Free shipping and great customer service here: https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/vfl-comp-8d-inch-400w-rms-dvc-subwoofer/ 

AB didn't provide us with depth.  It 's mounting depth much closer to 5 than 9.8 based on the images.

thanks for the link to your shop (assuming its your shop) Providing you are a dealer, How do you compare the ampere audio 6.5" subwoofer to the sundown x-6.5? the only thing i can find is the SA-6.5 online but i'm guessing the x-6.5 is a dealer item only.   I'm going to give an accurate measurement of the american bass VFL sub when it arrives, I'm sure i wont have great customer service but amazon had the VFL-8 for $109 with free shipping, But i'm guessing its cheaper since its been discontinued, its no longer on american bass's website.  However i found the 6.5" american bass HD subs on alibaba without the american bass name, but you have to be a legal business to buy from them, and even then you have to buy in bulk.  

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6-5-ALUMINIUM-SUBWOOFER_50029949284.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.111.48594c58CIoBcp

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the sub in, turns out that the sub is 5.125 inches from mounting flange to the back of the magnet. But that wouldnt allow any room for the pole to breathe. So in my opinion it requires 6 inches of depth which i have, except my box has a slight angle inside and the magnet hit the side of the angle so i cant use it for my audi but im gonna put it in crew cab sierra.

20190124_152533.jpg

id have to redo alot of the box to put the woofer in it, or make a custom mounting ring for it, if i had better tools to build with id make a nice custom ring.  I installed a tang band 8" woofer with the neo magnet, its several years old but i've only used it as a backup for my home surround sound subwoofer. its not as loud as the VFL8d4 but since it was only playing the tighter bass that my VFL 12 couldnt hit  it should be fine.   

right now i have to look up the box specs for the VFL8d4 now to figure out if i want to run sealed or ported.  It looks like i'm going to have about 1.2 CF of room to work with in the truck,  

id have to redo alot of the box to put the woofer in it, or make a custom mounting ring for it, if i had better tools to build with id make a nice custom ring.  I installed a tang band 8" woofer with the neo magnet, its several years old but i've only used it as a backup for my home surround sound subwoofer. its not as loud as the VFL8d4 but since it was only playing the tighter bass that my VFL 12 couldnt hit  it should be fine.   

right now i have to look up the box specs for the VFL8d4 now to figure out if i want to run sealed or ported.  It looks like i'm going to have about 1.2 CF of room to work with in the truck,  
The vfl 8 is ported only, don't put it in a sealed box. 

The vfl 8 is ported only, don't put it in a sealed box. 
every sub calculator i've checked says they are ported or sealed..... so far i've found absolutely zero specs from american bass on what the sub is recommended for.   as of right now the new box i'm building for it is going to be 1.1 CF sealed on estimate, *IF* i can get alittle more out of the box i may try ported if it doesnt sound great. I've been running my 2001 model VFL 1222 in a 1cf sealed box for 19 years now. I know the designs have changed over the last 19 years though. 

every sub calculator i've checked says they are ported or sealed..... so far i've found absolutely zero specs from american bass on what the sub is recommended for.   as of right now the new box i'm building for it is going to be 1.1 CF sealed on estimate, *IF* i can get alittle more out of the box i may try ported if it doesnt sound great. I've been running my 2001 model VFL 1222 in a 1cf sealed box for 19 years now. I know the designs have changed over the last 19 years though. 

There are tsp specs all over for that sub, it has a high ebp of about 76 indicating that it should go in a ported box. 

There are tsp specs all over for that sub, it has a high ebp of about 76 indicating that it should go in a ported box. 
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SealedVsPortedSpeakerBox/

this was the site i used, it does put it closer to the ported side, but says it will work on either.  i listen to all types of music but probably rap/hiphop the least, but i do enjoy some EDM which can hit low.   The funny thing is i have a pair of Tang-Band 8x12 woofers (they are no longer made) that sound great but i really dont want to put an oval sub in my truck because they look strange and i have no grill for it. 

I'm having difficulty using the calculators to attempt to figure out how much space and port length i would need for a ported box for a single VFL 8   I've been a novice when it comes to optimum box size for years.   My audi wagon has a 12" sub on the drivers side wheel well area with 1CF of airspace after the basket size, and my passenger side has a tang-band Neo 8" sub with .4 CF of space.   the Tang band is driven by an orion cobalt 500.1, and the VFL 12 is being driven by a memphis "big bell" sub channel. 

my pickup truck is still yet undetermined on the amps i'm going to use, i have a dozen or so different ones i can choose from, but i'm considering  using an HCCA275r for the sub at 2 OHM, and two HCCA 225's for the front/rear door speakers.  Those amps put out amazing SQ. 

Bass Box Pro is the most accurate and best program to use. 

Winisd will get you close but it doesn't predict cabin/room gain so it's not accurate below 50hz. 

Putting that vfl 8 in a sealed box will seriously choke its performance. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.