American bass VFL-8" woofer depth?

The volume is probably around 1cf and that length of a port would put the tune around 30-32hz. I would shorten the port or at least design a way for it to be removable, that way you can play with different lengths and test what works best.

The volume is probably around 1cf and that length of a port would put the tune around 30-32hz. I would shorten the port or at least design a way for it to be removable, that way you can play with different lengths and test what works best.
right now i can remove 5 screws that are stablizing the port to the box, and take the sub out and the port can be hammered back out of place, i cut the hole so snug to the port that i had to use a flat piece of wood and a hammer to put it in the box so its a pretty tight fit. I was actually pretty  proud at how good of a circle i cut out using a really old craftsman jigsaw. 

right now i can remove 5 screws that are stablizing the port to the box, and take the sub out and the port can be hammered back out of place, i cut the hole so snug to the port that i had to use a flat piece of wood and a hammer to put it in the box so its a pretty tight fit. I was actually pretty  proud at how good of a circle i cut out using a really old craftsman jigsaw. 
In the future try mounting the pvc to plate like piece, this allows you to use bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. You'll want to use a thin piece of closed cell foam weatherstripping on the back side so it seals with the box well. Aeroports work equally as well. If you manage to remove your current port, use a  rotary barrel rasp and a drill to bore out the hole so the pipe slips in easily. Make sure to wear a dust mask because you don't want to be breathing in that mdf dust. 

Here's an example of what I mean:

L11.jpg

In the future try mounting the pvc to plate like piece, this allows you to use bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. You'll want to use a thin piece of closed cell foam weatherstripping on the back side so it seals with the box well. Aeroports work equally as well. If you manage to remove your current port, use a  rotary barrel rasp and a drill to bore out the hole so the pipe slips in easily. Make sure to wear a dust mask because you don't want to be breathing in that mdf dust. 

Here's an example of what I mean:

View attachment 4042
might be why i've been sick for the last 4 days, I've breathed in a bit of MDF dust i figure. I built a sub box for my wife's car and this one for my truck, my wife's looks like **** because it was supposed to be .4CF sealed for one 8" sub and she said it wasnt loud enough so i made  a 2.25" thick mounting ring on her box and put a 10" sub in the same enclosure and she's happy now, i'm sure its way undersized for her diamond audio CM3 10" subwoofer but she's happy with how it sounds now and thats all i care about.   

thats not a DD, its an elemental designs

also, its better to have a fair amount more than you need than less
ah, I see, I'm not very familiar with Elemental Designs but after looking at their stuff it looks top notch! definitely a nice amp, specs look about right for what i need, No idea what the person is asking for it. But in all honesty, i'm hoping to find an old school sony XM-7557 (or is that considered "mid" school)

ah, I see, I'm not very familiar with Elemental Designs but after looking at their stuff it looks top notch! definitely a nice amp, specs look about right for what i need, No idea what the person is asking for it. But in all honesty, i'm hoping to find an old school sony XM-7557 (or is that considered "mid" school)
they were a firm out of somewhere in iowa (very close to where i live) and were korean built. They went bust, but not for the same reason twisted sounds went bust. I should say that by saying theyre korean built, thats a good thing. Not sure if you knew that or not

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.